The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:15pm
I miss being on the floor

Kentucky-Louisville Switcharoo

John Calipari Pulled a Switch-a-roo to Get a Better Shooter at the Foul Line, and the Refs Missed It [Video] | The Big Lead

Thoughts?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, don't believe that's what happened. Looks like #22 is fouled, not #3.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

You mean there is not a play-by-play log to determine who the foul was on? I agree with BKref, I think the call was on the pass, not the guy who happened to have the ball when the whistle was blown.

And it looks like the officials told them to switch.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Nope, don't believe that's what happened. Looks like #22 is fouled, not #3.
Look at the box score from the link in the article. #2 from Louisville (Russ Smith) only committed two fouls in the first half, and only one of those fouls was followed by free throws. As the box score points out, those foul shots were taken by Poythress (#22).

Now watch the video. Smith is nowhere near Poythress on the play. We know that this play happened in the first half because Kentucky is attacking towards the UL bench.

The other foul on Smith in the first half immediately preceded a TV timeout. Unless there's an incredibly delayed reaction, it doesn't look as though they're heading to a TV timeout after the foul in the video.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You mean there is not a play-by-play log to determine who the foul was on? I agree with BKref, I think the call was on the pass, not the guy who happened to have the ball when the whistle was blown.

And it looks like the officials told them to switch.

Peace
Click on the link, and there's a link there to the box score.

Also, where did you get the impression that the officials told them to switch?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK dude, whatever you say. I really couldn't care less. You asked for thoughts, I gave them to you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Where did you get the impression that Cal had anything to do with the switch? Cal is on the other end of the court and the players switch without anyone in the picture. I have been doing this long enough to know that I have told players who actually I called the foul on or my partners called the foul on and seen a similar switch. And unless we have the exact time of this foul, I think it is a stretch to put this on the coach. Officials often say who is supposed to go to the line. Players and teams assume a lot of stuff that is incorrect.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
OK dude, whatever you say. I really couldn't care less. You asked for thoughts, I gave them to you.
Did you at least read the article the second time around instead of just watching the video?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:52pm

Quote:
Where did you get the impression that Cal had anything to do with the switch? Cal is on the other end of the court and the players switch without anyone in the picture. I have been doing this long enough to know that I have told players who actually I called the foul on or my partners called the foul on and seen a similar switch. And unless we have the exact time of this foul, I think it is a stretch to put this on the coach. Officials often say who is supposed to go to the line. Players and teams assume a lot of stuff that is incorrect.

Peace
I never said anything about Calipari. The article did. The players could very well have pulled that off on their own.

All we have to go off of is the video and the box score. We know it's the first half, and if you notice the game clock in the background on the free throws, the clock says "1:something" which would be consistent with the box score.

In the video, it looks to me like the C called the foul and pointed at Smith.

And you didn't answer my question.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I never said anything about Calipari. The article did. The players could very well have pulled that off on their own.

All we have to go off of is the video and the box score. We know it's the first half, and if you notice the game clock in the background on the free throws, the clock says "1:something" which would be consistent with the box score.

In the video, it looks to me like the C called the foul and pointed at Smith.

And you didn't answer my question.
Well you posted a video that is accusing the coach. I am just saying I am not seeing anything that suggests this is on the coach. Maybe the officials sent the wrong guy to the line, that does happen you know.

Also it is not clear he is pointing at Smith. It is clear he is pointing in the lane where at least two players are located. I am sure the official is saying who he called the foul on as well during his non-verbal action.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:57pm.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with JRut. At some level there appears to have been a mix-up. Either UL #2 fouled UK #3 or UL #24 fouled UK #22 but the headline for the article is way off the mark and that's what causes the problem (to me, at least). Calipari is 50 feet away from the action. What could he have had to do with what went on?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:19pm

Quote:
Well you posted a video that is accusing the coach. I am just saying I am not seeing anything that suggests this is on the coach. Maybe the officials sent the wrong guy to the line, that does happen you know.
I posted a link to an article (which I did not write) that contained a video (that I did not make). I'm just a messenger.

Yes, I know it happens. And maybe that's what happened here. Or maybe the players mixed up who was supposed to be at the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Calipari is 50 feet away from the action. What could he have had to do with what went on?
Speculating here, but hand signals, code words, any number of things. It sort of had the look of an orchestrated move.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speculating here, but hand signals, code words, any number of things. It sort of had the look of an orchestrated move.
That's grassy knoll-type speculation, if you ask me. It could be just as simple as UK #3 walked to the line because he happened to be holding the ball when the whistle blew.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I posted a link to an article (which I did not write) that contained a video (that I did not make). I'm just a messenger.

Yes, I know it happens. And maybe that's what happened here. Or maybe the players mixed up who was supposed to be at the line.

True, but you made sure we knew that Cal was apart of the switch-a-roo in your link comments. I am just stating that I am not seeing how he is the main person responsible. I know officials sometimes lose the shooter on a foul not shooting. And it happens with me from time to time unless there is a very distinctive (tattoos, height, hair style) identifier for the kid that was fouled. I am not ruling out anything, just stating that there are a lot of factors to this situation.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:24pm
beware big brother

hand signals and/or code words for switching shooters on foul shots, really? i suppose you are a birther and 9/11 truther as well! seriously, that has got to be one of the most ridiculous things i have read on this forum!