The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2019, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Three Second Violation?

Hi Guys,
Tonight had a player in the key during rebounding action however the shot was an airball. Official quickly called 3 seconds after securing rebound. Could someone either correct me that this is a correct call, or point me to an interpretation? I am a coach so boo hiss I know. And its middle school so I dont take it that seriously, but would like to know the correct call. Official said that since it was an airball there was no reset, and I thought an airball was still a try for goal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all you guys do!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2019, 08:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Seconds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
... a player in the key during rebounding action however the shot was an airball. Official quickly called 3 seconds after securing rebound. Could someone either correct me that this is a correct call, or point me to an interpretation? ... would like to know the correct call. Official said that since it was an airball there was no reset, and I thought an airball was still a try for goal.
Official was absolutely positively wrong. BDevil15 was absolutely positively correct.

The intent of the three second rule is to not allow an offensive player in the lane to gain an advantage. There is no three second count between the release of a shot, and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three second count during a throwin. There is no three second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three second count during an interrupted dribble. There is a three second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane, and one foot outside of the lane, and the three second count continues if this player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching inside the lane. To stop the count this player must have both feet touch the court outside of the lane. It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the lane area for less than three seconds, dribbles, or moves immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 17, 2019, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks, I was sure then she was so sure that I questioned myself and couldn't find it in my case book for that exact instance and wanted to be sure.

Appreciate you officials, and all that you do!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2019, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

She might be conflating her ruling with shot clock rules. In the case of a shot clock, an air ball does not result in a reset of the shot clock. But in the case of the three seconds rule, this is not a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Dec 17, 2019, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
She might be conflating her ruling with shot clock rules. In the case of a shot clock, an air ball does not result in a reset of the shot clock. But in the case of the three seconds rule, this is not a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't mean to hijack, but are there any states that use a shot clock in middle school games?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

We are a shot clock state(ca) for high school but we don't use it for middle school.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing applies in DC and MD (and in VA for a few private schools).

For the purposes of the 3-second rule, any try suspends the 3-second count, including an airball. For shot clock purposes, only a try hitting the ring, the flange, or entering the basket resets the shot clock.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 04:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Same thing applies in DC and MD (and in VA for a few private schools).

For the purposes of the 3-second rule, any try suspends the 3-second count, including an airball. For shot clock purposes, only a try hitting the ring, the flange, or entering the basket resets the shot clock.
Suspends means that you would resume the count from where you left off. On any try, the 3-second count is terminated.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2019, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

My bad. The 3 second count terminates. Any try ends the 3-second count. A pass to a player in the lane might suspend the count, depending on what he does with the ball after receiving it.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My bad. The 3 second count terminates. Any try ends the 3-second count. A pass to a player in the lane might suspend the count, depending on what he does with the ball after receiving it.
Nope. Try again.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SUSPEND THE COUNT......Are you making this up??? Better get in the rules or contact Mr. Battista.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I used the wrong word initially. I then mentioned a situation where the count could actually be suspended.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Allowance ...

Quote:
... a situation where the count could actually be suspended.
9-7-3: Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the
restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves
immediately to try for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
We are a shot clock state(ca) for high school but we don't use it for middle school.
I hear the vast majority of California's varsity games are officiated by two man crews. I can only imagine how challenging it would be to see all the off-ball screening, rebounding action, in addition to, managing the game and shot clocks.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I hear the vast majority of California's varsity games are officiated by two man crews. I can only imagine how challenging it would be to see all the off-ball screening, rebounding action, in addition to, managing the game and shot clocks.
All true.