LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 03:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But this is!
First qtr with 9:23 remaining
Lakers at Utah Jazz

Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.

Someone will post the video, several will agree with me that the NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor, and someone will post how great they are and that people who don’t work at that level can’t criticize.
It is not an issue of greatness or poorness. The issue is that this is one play in a game that can be missed by a varsity official. How many times does someone come here and post a horrible misapplication of a rule or a play? So forgive me for rolling my eyes a little bit at the hyperbole about the NBA as if they are alone in doing silly stuff. I post videos all the time about plays and situations that are very embarrassing and the NBA is not the level the plays came from. And officials are looking right at those plays and still do not call obvious travels, call blocking calls on players that did nothing wrong or apply a rule that does not exist or comes from another level. This was bad for sure, but let us be real sometimes. They make mistakes too because they are human.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

There is a significant difference which you are failing to note. The officials at the NBA level are professionals. Officiating those contests is their primary job and how they earn a living. That is not the case at the HS level and for the majority of the NCAA officials.

Therefore, I believe that it is fair to expect much more from the people working the NBA games. They shouldn’t be making the same errors as JV high school officials.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor
Quote:
There is a significant difference which you are failing to note. The officials at the NBA level are professionals. Officiating those contests is their primary job and how they earn a living. That is not the case at the HS level and for the majority of the NCAA officials.

Therefore, I believe that it is fair to expect much more from the people working the NBA games. They shouldn’t be making the same errors as JV high school officials.
LMAO. So because they are professionals it's the end of the world to make a mistake on a once-in-a-lifetime play. A play that most people, including the guy who dunked the ball, missed on initial viewing.

You've made it clear in your posting history that you enjoy playing "gotcha" with officials at higher levels.

Not sure what axe you have to grind but I guess my question is, why aren't you at that level? If the officiating is so poor you should have no problem getting hired to help them clean up their mess.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ridiculous ...

Quote:
Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.

LeBron's explanation:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...AEe?li=BBnba9I
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 10:41am.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't happen -- but it does, to all of us. We look away form "no action" to see what might be coming up -- is someone coming to set a screen, is there off-ball activity that we can help with, etc. Then, something happens and than fans go "oooh"
Old Fri Dec 06, 2019, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Brain Hiccup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Shouldn't happen -- but it does, to all of us. We look away form "no action" to see what might be coming up -- is someone coming to set a screen, is there off-ball activity that we can help with, etc. Then, something happens and than fans go "oooh"
Two or three times in forty years I've had unguarded ball handlers hold the ball and look for an open man to pass to for a such a long, long time that I said to myself, "Wait? Did he already end his dribble or hasn't he started a dribble yet?", and hope that the ball handler knew the answer more accurately than me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 12:03pm.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Apparently the official was officiating the defense
Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Protest denied, despite NBA finding that referees mis-applied the coaching challenge rule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

"While agreeing that the referees misapplied the rules, Commissioner Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

Yes, an embarrassment!!!!
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

So the officials missed the fact that a goal was scored by the ball passing through the basket, which many people understand given the odd nature of the action, but what cannot be defended is then kicking the coach’s challenge rule which would have allowed them to fix this mistake. There is no excuse for not knowing the rules at the level that one officiates.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So the officials missed the fact that a goal was scored by the ball passing through the basket, which many people understand given the odd nature of the action, but what cannot be defended is then kicking the coach’s challenge rule which would have allowed them to fix this mistake. There is no excuse for not knowing the rules at the level that one officiates.
For which they are being disciplined.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You really think this was an issue of not knowing the rule? Seriously? Not knowing the rule? Not the fact that they might not have felt the ball went through the basket at all? The fact that Harden chased the ball like he did not believe the basket was good either?

Again, like said, this is a once in a lifetime situation. Rarely do you ever see a basket not go through the basket-like this, let alone wrap around and come out upwards.

Yes it was a mistake. I will debate that there is no excuse either as many things looked funny that you do not see in games. And the fact an official acts like this is a common occurrence or that this is something that can happen on a regular basis is kind of laughable.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You really think this was an issue of not knowing the rule? Seriously? Not knowing the rule? Not the fact that they might not have felt the ball went through the basket at all? The fact that Harden chased the ball like he did not believe the basket was good either?
I think you missed a piece there. The rule knowledge issue isn't about the basket scoring, but about the application of the coach challenge and what could be challenged and when. Unfortunately, the article doesn't explain much about the actual rule and where the mistake was in denying the coach challenge. I'd really like to hear the full story and full reasoning.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think you missed a piece there. The rule knowledge issue isn't about the basket scoring, but about the application of the coach challenge and what could be challenged and when. Unfortunately, the article doesn't explain much about the actual rule and where the mistake was in denying the coach challenge. I'd really like to hear the full story and full reasoning.
Even that is a new rule. Even that piece if not been said one way or the other what was misapplied. There are many rules that come into play that are not well thought out and that is why many did not like the replay challenges in the first place. Officials at all levels make mistakes and this is no different. I just think it is funny how some people act when a mistake is made like they never make mistakes or never made mistakes in their career. I know I have and learned from them and likely did not make those mistakes again.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are missing the point.
At least MY point.
I can live with all the mistakes.
Didn’t think it went in...
Reviewable or not...
Challenge legit...
Etc...

Then a proper protest was filed and the commissioner stated that the protest was correct.
BUT we are not going to uphold it because the offended had enough time to make up the 2 points.

Yes, embarrassment!!!