The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA protest and NBA officiating embarrassment (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104836-nba-protest-nba-officiating-embarrassment.html)

Nevadaref Wed Dec 04, 2019 03:03am

NBA protest and NBA officiating embarrassment

Video request of Houston player James Harden making a dunk, yet the officials missing the fact that it passed through the basket and failing to count the score.

Houston lost by two and may protest the game.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 04, 2019 03:06am

In an NFHS game, would this qualify as a correctable error?
The text language is “Erroneously counting or canceling a score.”

Is failing to count a goal the same as erroneously canceling it? I’m not certain because an official doesn’t actually cancel anything, rather no official made a call at all.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 04, 2019 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1035707)
Video request of Houston player James Harden making a dunk, yet the officials missing the fact that it passed through the basket and failing to count the score.

Houston lost by two and may protest the game.

Based on the player's reactions in chasing the ball, it looks like they missed it, too.

I don't think this is an NFHS CE.

so cal lurker Wed Dec 04, 2019 08:31am

How would it be protestable? It was a mistake of judgment (did the ball go in), not a question of misapplication of a rule.

JRutledge Wed Dec 04, 2019 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1035713)
Based on the player's reactions in chasing the ball, it looks like they missed it, too.

You had to see the replay to know for sure. It looked clearly live like that ball never went through. Player does not react that way, they might have counted the basket.

Peace

thumpferee Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23am

The ball definitely went in and the net swung it around. I don't think Harden knew WTH happened, along with most, obviously!

Was it reviewed? Is it reviewable?

Camron Rust Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1035713)

I believe it is.

"erroneously counting or canceling a score"

If one of the other officials comes up later (but before the window expires) and says that ball went in, it should be counted. Why would we not?

SC Official Wed Dec 04, 2019 01:34pm

"Embarrassment"?

Christ, they made a mistake on a 1-in-1000-year play. A mistake any one of us could easily make.

It amazes me how holier-than-thou some officials that haven't sniffed the level of the guys on TV love to act.

Multiple Sports Wed Dec 04, 2019 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1035732)
"Embarrassment"?

Christ, they made a mistake on a 1-in-1000-year play. A mistake any one of us could easily make.

It amazes me how holier-than-thou some officials that haven't sniffed the level of the guys on TV love to act.

Post of the year !!!! You are 100% correct.

Thanks for saying it !!!

BillyMac Wed Dec 04, 2019 05:21pm

What's Wrong With Being Embarrassed ???

Quote:

"Embarrassment"?

Hey, I'm embarrassed every time I make a mistake, varsity game on television, or middle school game in front of a hundred fans, big mistakes that everybody sees and impacts the game, and little mistakes that nobody but me even notices.

Even when my partner makes a mistake, I always think, "What could I have done better as a partner to prevent that mistake?".

I'm embarrassed when I post something incorrect on the Forum.

Forty years. Thousands of games. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in game fees. Training. Meetings. Camps. Exams. Conferences. Observations. Advice. Lots of reading. Scrimmages. Introspection.

I always strive to work a perfect game. I never do, but that doesn't keep me from trying and from disappointing myself and being embarrassed every time that I make a mistake.

Of course, I stopped kicking myself about it many, many, years ago, or I wouldn't still be officiating today.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.1...=0&w=300&h=300

crosscountry55 Wed Dec 04, 2019 09:02pm

Yeah, “embarrassment” may be a bit on the sanctimonious side of the hyperbole meter.

That said, what may need to be looked at is the 30 second review appeal timeline. The officials said that it had passed by the time the Houston coach challenged, but that’s only because the crew took a country minute (understandably) to figure out (incorrectly) what they had just seen. I think the 30 second window should start in cases like this when a final ruling has been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Dec 04, 2019 09:13pm

Quote:

"Embarrassment"?

Harden did not realize he made the basket. We never see that and I cannot ever think of a time something like that ever happened.

Peace

Altor Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1035719)
Was it reviewed? Is it reviewable?

The article I read said the coach has to request the review within the first 30 seconds of the next timeout. He apparently spent too long trying to determine if he could request a review and by the time he did, he was beyond the 30 seconds.

MechanicGuy Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32am

It's embarrassing, but not an embarrassment.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 06, 2019 02:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1035755)
It's embarrassing, but not an embarrassment.

But this is!
First qtr with 9:23 remaining
Lakers at Utah Jazz

Lebron commits a ridiculous traveling violation with the Trail official having a clear view of the action.

Someone will post the video, several will agree with me that the NBA officiating is embarrassingly poor, and someone will post how great they are and that people who don’t work at that level can’t criticize. :rolleyes: