The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

We might be able to have such a repository of the A.R.'s, because we don't need to keep it in physical form. There is a thing called the Internet /s.

All sarcasm aside, I would assess both penalties, first for the fans on the court, then for the players leaving the bench for an unauthorized reason (premature celebration).
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 04:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
We might be able to have such a repository of the A.R.'s, because we don't need to keep it in physical form. There is a thing called the Internet /s.

All sarcasm aside, I would assess both penalties, first for the fans on the court, then for the players leaving the bench for an unauthorized reason (premature celebration).
Just penalize one or the other. Once one occurs the other is not holding up the game. You will have enforced a penalty without being overly officious.

IOW, what Bob said.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 10:20am.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

That makes sense. If I was Art, I would make sure to write up that interpretation officially, either as an AR or in a bulletin, to make things less confusing, and to prevent literal-minded officials from enforcing both penalties.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That makes sense. If I was Art, I would make sure to write up that interpretation officially, either as an AR or in a bulletin, to make things less confusing, and to prevent literal-minded officials from enforcing both penalties.
Again, you can't write up everything. If they did, it would take you until 2048 to read them all. Learn principles, not memorize every permutation of events.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I say let him enforce both in a future CBA game that he works and then let us know how the call goes with the assigner afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a game official you are supposed to prevent and solve problems not cause and compound them. If your mentality is to double-whack a team for what they thought was a game-winning shot, you are going to fail as an official.

Lighten up, Francis!
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Technically, I would not be double-whacking the team. I would merely be administering the penalties for illegal actions by the team (the class B technical foul) and its followers (the administrative technical foul).

However, I see Bob's point in ruling that the delay by the fans stopped the game, so the team members entering the court did not further delay the game.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Technically, I would not be double-whacking the team. I would merely be administering the penalties for illegal actions by the team (the class B technical foul) and its followers (the administrative technical foul).

However, I see Bob's point in ruling that the delay by the fans stopped the game, so the team members entering the court did not further delay the game.
The fact that you have only one T for several members of the team entering the court should tell you that you only have one T here. Even though multiple team members enter, you only penalize the team. That makes it clear that for the situation, they only want ONE T instead of every team member that left the bench getting a T. Extend that principle and you still end up with ONE T if team members and fans enter the court.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Would the individual team members still be charged with Class B technical fouls for ejection purposes, even though only one free throw will be shot? In football, it is possible to have multiple players charged with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, yet still only enforce the yardage once.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would the individual team members still be charged with Class B technical fouls for ejection purposes, even though only one free throw will be shot? In football, it is possible to have multiple players charged with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, yet still only enforce the yardage once.
well, the case play says: 1: A CLASS B technical foul shall be assessed to the head coach of
Team A. The coach’s technical foul does not count toward the team
foul total but does count toward the coach’s ejection.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-M

If it "prevents continuous action," it's a Class B on the head coach. It's pretty simple. You do not penalize the bench personnel that rushed the court.