The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 08:22am
Ok is the new good

Big Sky Semi-Leaving the bench

Big Sky Semi-Finals...

The senior put Montana on his back, drove past Quinton Upshur with almost too much ease, and put in a layup with 0.4 seconds left to send Montana to the Big Sky title game, 61-59.

There was major drama after the shot, however, as an ineligible Montana transfer in street clothes darted onto the floor on Gregory's shot with time still left. He dove off the floor, then officials had to stop play while NAU was inbounding the ball.

Yanku's eventual desperation heave missed (and Montana oddly gave him plenty of space to shoot it), then NAU coach Jack Murphy got into it with Montana's head man Travis DeCuire. Reporters said the Big Sky officially stated Murphy was being investigated for the incident.

Thoughts?
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Sounds as if bench personnel illegally entered the court and it interrupted the throw-in (playing action). The NCAA rule is that is a technical foul.
Put NAU on the line with a chance to tie.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

http://youtu.be/qSSytvWuFqI

Sorry, I don't actually know how to embed clips

You can just barely see the UM player diving off the court at about the 20 second mark
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Oh wow. The transfer student had HS rules on his mind. Forgot that the clock stops in NCAA.

I wouldn't investigate the NAU coach too hard because he had a very good beef. The officials had to blow the whistle to address the transfer student's interruption, which means it interfered with play, which means it should have been enough to assess a Class B Tech under 10-2.8:

Art. 8. Team followers (fans, bands, cheerleaders and mascots associated with either team) shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following: ....
....d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to, followers entering the playing court before the player activity has been terminated. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.

NAU should have received two free throws, and then the ball via POI under MT's basket with 0.4s remaining.

Whoops.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 12:58pm
In Time Out

article about it. I wonder if the refs saw it. Can they review this? It seems like they were on the monitor.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nsues-on-court
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
The officials had to blow the whistle to address the transfer student's interruption, which means it interfered with play, which means it should have been enough to assess a Class B Tech under 10-2.8:
It's not often I get to quote myself. Usually someone beats me to it.

Reading the article and watching the video with sound, you can definitely hear the buzzer go off. Looks like the clock didn't stop. So the Big Sky can at least pretend that the ruling was correct in that the transfer student didn't really interfere with play and that the reason play was stopped was for a monitor review.

But sheesh, that guy was almost at the semi-circle before he dove back to the bench. Hard to say that didn't interfere with play.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2015, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Reading the article and watching the video with sound, you can definitely hear the buzzer go off. Looks like the clock didn't stop. So the Big Sky can at least pretend that the ruling was correct in that the transfer student didn't really interfere with play and that the reason play was stopped was for a monitor review.

But sheesh, that guy was almost at the semi-circle before he dove back to the bench. Hard to say that didn't interfere with play.
Mistake or no mistake, there's no license for the 'offended' coach to incite a melee in the handshake line.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I hope that the conference releases a statement on this.
The whistle comes BEFORE the buzzer and certainly after this young man has run out onto the court.
After watching the video, I believe that a technical foul was fully warranted.
The behavior of both coaches afterward was childish and embarrassing.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Mar 15, 2015 at 02:25am.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Justice occurs in that Eastern Washington defeated Montana in the championship game played in Missoula, MT.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

No mistake, this is a T. The officials blew it.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2015, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

There's no way the clock didn't stop. The officials put .4 second back on after video review, and that amount of time would have expired before the ball was even OOB for the throw in. The horn doesn't seem to go off until the ball is in play.

I don't see how this isn't a T, but that's up for the Big Sky to tell it's officials. Seems obvious to me, though.