The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The only thing that bothers me is when I'm in a high school pregame with a college official (and I am one of those) and he wants to talk about college stuff, be it rules or just bragging about himself. All that does is confuse non-college officials and makes it feel like you are big-timing. Thankfully this does not happen too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Saw this a lot a generation ago, don't see it very often with the younger guys, somebody most have straightened them out.
Oh, it still happens.

Was working with a young official a couple season ago who was just picked up for his first college season and was doing this sort of stuff.

When we go in at halftime, he starts in about how college guys always communicate better, specifically about end of quarter communcation. He was suggesting we really need to communicate being under 1-minute and who had the last shot. About that time, another official who was watching the game and joined us for halftime chimed in ad said...."Bobby (name changed), Cam had his hand up trying to communicate with you for a long time and you never looked". Needless to say, he had a lot less to add to the halftime discussion after that.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 05:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is when I'm in a high school pregame with a college official (and I am one of those) and he wants to talk about college stuff, be it rules or just bragging about himself. All that does is confuse non-college officials and makes it feel like you are big-timing. Thankfully this does not happen too much.

Once we get out on the floor, I don't really care if you use a signal that isn't in the back of the book. I care if you get plays right, are a good partner, apply the correct rules and switches, communicate well, handle business, and manage the game.
I'll sometimes have somebody who will ask me about college stuff and I will redirect the conversation back to high school rules and mechanics. The only time I want to discuss college stuff is if I'm on a crew with college officials and we're clarifying a rules difference or mechanics difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'll sometimes have somebody who will ask me about college stuff and I will redirect the conversation back to high school rules and mechanics. The only time I want to discuss college stuff is if I'm on a crew with college officials and we're clarifying a rules difference or mechanics difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This makes sense.

My main issue is with college officials taking digs at the high school game/officials in the dressing room.

"The college rule is so much better."
"Glad I don't work too many of these."
"In my college games..."
"Not sure what you guys do at your level, but at my level..."

Thankfully, it's rare but I have worked high school with other low-level college officials who have some air of superiority.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 05:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This makes sense.

My main issue is with college officials taking digs at the high school game/officials in the dressing room.

"The college rule is so much better."
"Glad I don't work too many of these."
"In my college games..."
"Not sure what you guys do at your level, but at my level..."

Thankfully, it's rare but I have worked high school with other low-level college officials who have some air of superiority.
That type of talk here would get you called out to some extent. For one there are people that know what you do or do not do. So if someone said that to me, I probably already know whether you do college ball and how much realistically. So some could only get away with that only so much anyway. The officials there are well known and do not need to talk like that.

Peace