Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Final Four: Texas Tech v Michigan State

13:53 of the first half
Steal by Mich State and quick break.
There is a foul by the first defender and then basket interference by the second.
Both calls made on the court were correct.
My question is why is the C calling the foul? No way that he can see this contact from his angle.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 08:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My question is why is the C calling the foul?
Because Jeff Anderson isn’t gonna miss ANYTHING this game.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Because Jeff Anderson isn’t gonna miss ANYTHING this game.
Reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from L on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremred View Post
because jeff anderson isn’t gonna miss anything this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from l on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.
lol!
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 09:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from L on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.
Which isn’t wrong. Lead has a good look at whether the ball grazes the rim or not.

But go back and watch — he was walking onto the court and had his hand up for the violation before the ball even missed lol.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which isn’t wrong. Lead has a good look at whether the ball grazes the rim or not.

But go back and watch — he was walking onto the court and had his hand up for the violation before the ball even missed lol.
He wasn’t calling any contact or not with the ring. He judged that the try was not released before the shot clock expired.
My thought was that he might have a good look at the release and simultaneously the shot clock at the far end of the court.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

With much praise to him, this appeared to be the JA show from the get go. He seemed quite hyped on his movements and calls. I can refer to a few plays but in particular one stands out. I think it was in the second half and there was a double whistle with JA as C. L calls the foul and signal a block and it was quite clear that indeed it was a block. JA, with other whistle, posts, holds, and then well after the L makes his blocking signal, JA then makes his adamant blocking signal. I do not recall ever seeing that type of situation. It was almost as if JA was confirming the L's call by performing, again adamantly, the same signal.

There might be a Teddy clone in the making.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
With much praise to him, this appeared to be the JA show from the get go. He seemed quite hyped on his movements and calls. I can refer to a few plays but in particular one stands out. I think it was in the second half and there was a double whistle with JA as C. L calls the foul and signal a block and it was quite clear that indeed it was a block. JA, with other whistle, posts, holds, and then well after the L makes his blocking signal, JA then makes his adamant blocking signal. I do not recall ever seeing that type of situation. It was almost as if JA was confirming the L's call by performing, again adamantly, the same signal.

Too funny as I had a similar thought on that play. I believe that we know who is replacing TV Teddy!
I can only hope that he believes that he was supporting his partner by showing everyone that he had the same call. My opinion is that the C shouldn’t even have a whistle on a secondary defender in the middle of the lane. He has no angle to see left/right movement by the defender.
Oh, and I’m not a fan of theatrical and showy mechanics.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

I wonder if there is something about that situation that might not be caught up by the tv production and that was the volume of the facility. How loud was it when that call was made? Was this a situation where the player called for the foul heard both whistles and the actions by JA were not directed to his partner, but to the player to indicate that I had the same call as my partner, so don't even try questioning it?
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 02:55pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I wonder if there is something about that situation that might not be caught up by the tv production and that was the volume of the facility. How loud was it when that call was made? Was this a situation where the player called for the foul heard both whistles and the actions by JA were not directed to his partner, but to the player to indicate that I had the same call as my partner, so don't even try questioning it?
Nope. I’ve seen Jeff mirror the other officials signal many times when he’s involved in a double whistle on a block charge play.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2019, 05:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Nope. I’ve seen Jeff mirror the other officials signal many times when he’s involved in a double whistle on a block charge play.
Maybe something he was taught by somebody and he's held on to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk