The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final Four: Texas Tech v Michigan State (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104522-final-four-texas-tech-v-michigan-state.html)

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:16pm

Final Four: Texas Tech v Michigan State

13:53 of the first half
Steal by Mich State and quick break.
There is a foul by the first defender and then basket interference by the second.
Both calls made on the court were correct.
My question is why is the C calling the foul? No way that he can see this contact from his angle.

AremRed Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032057)
My question is why is the C calling the foul?

Because Jeff Anderson isn’t gonna miss ANYTHING this game.

Drizzle Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1032059)
Because Jeff Anderson isn’t gonna miss ANYTHING this game.

Reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from L on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aremred (Post 1032059)
because jeff anderson isn’t gonna miss anything this game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzle (Post 1032063)
reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from l on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.

lol!

AremRed Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzle (Post 1032063)
Reading this right before he whistled a shot clock violation from L on a 3 point shot made me chuckle.

Which isn’t wrong. Lead has a good look at whether the ball grazes the rim or not.

But go back and watch — he was walking onto the court and had his hand up for the violation before the ball even missed lol.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1032066)
Which isn’t wrong. Lead has a good look at whether the ball grazes the rim or not.

But go back and watch — he was walking onto the court and had his hand up for the violation before the ball even missed lol.

He wasn’t calling any contact or not with the ring. He judged that the try was not released before the shot clock expired.
My thought was that he might have a good look at the release and simultaneously the shot clock at the far end of the court.

bucky Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:07pm

With much praise to him, this appeared to be the JA show from the get go. He seemed quite hyped on his movements and calls. I can refer to a few plays but in particular one stands out. I think it was in the second half and there was a double whistle with JA as C. L calls the foul and signal a block and it was quite clear that indeed it was a block. JA, with other whistle, posts, holds, and then well after the L makes his blocking signal, JA then makes his adamant blocking signal. I do not recall ever seeing that type of situation. It was almost as if JA was confirming the L's call by performing, again adamantly, the same signal.

There might be a Teddy clone in the making.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 07, 2019 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1032088)
With much praise to him, this appeared to be the JA show from the get go. He seemed quite hyped on his movements and calls. I can refer to a few plays but in particular one stands out. I think it was in the second half and there was a double whistle with JA as C. L calls the foul and signal a block and it was quite clear that indeed it was a block. JA, with other whistle, posts, holds, and then well after the L makes his blocking signal, JA then makes his adamant blocking signal. I do not recall ever seeing that type of situation. It was almost as if JA was confirming the L's call by performing, again adamantly, the same signal.

Too funny as I had a similar thought on that play. I believe that we know who is replacing TV Teddy!
I can only hope that he believes that he was supporting his partner by showing everyone that he had the same call. My opinion is that the C shouldn’t even have a whistle on a secondary defender in the middle of the lane. He has no angle to see left/right movement by the defender.
Oh, and I’m not a fan of theatrical and showy mechanics.

chapmaja Sun Apr 07, 2019 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1032088)

I wonder if there is something about that situation that might not be caught up by the tv production and that was the volume of the facility. How loud was it when that call was made? Was this a situation where the player called for the foul heard both whistles and the actions by JA were not directed to his partner, but to the player to indicate that I had the same call as my partner, so don't even try questioning it?

AremRed Sun Apr 07, 2019 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1032113)
I wonder if there is something about that situation that might not be caught up by the tv production and that was the volume of the facility. How loud was it when that call was made? Was this a situation where the player called for the foul heard both whistles and the actions by JA were not directed to his partner, but to the player to indicate that I had the same call as my partner, so don't even try questioning it?

Nope. I’ve seen Jeff mirror the other officials signal many times when he’s involved in a double whistle on a block charge play.

Raymond Sun Apr 07, 2019 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1032114)
Nope. I’ve seen Jeff mirror the other officials signal many times when he’s involved in a double whistle on a block charge play.

Maybe something he was taught by somebody and he's held on to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk