The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. The line the offensive player is moving in is only one of many possible paths. It is also a path the offensive player turns into if the defender is occupying that path and has LGP in it. The defender doesn't get to get 2 feet down in one spot and move into a new "path" and have the prior 2 feet down count.

Example: A1 drives from the top of the key. B4, guarding A4 in the corner is turned torwards A1 and has both feet down. Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.

This is a block 100% of the time because while B4 had 2 feet down and was facing A1 (while B4 was in the corner), I do not know of a single official that considers that LGP.
Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Now you know one that does not consider this a block, lol.
I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope you're joking.

If not, just about every contact between a shooter and a defender would be a charge since, at SOME point before at SOME location on the court, that defender would have had two feet down and facing the dribbler....it would almost be impossible to not have LGP all the time.
So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
So are you then saying any contact with a defender that is not square in their chest a block?
No. Never said that.

A defender, to obtain LGP, but have his/her chest facing the opponent, with 2 feet down, and be in the path while doing so. After that, the requirement relax.

The point was that you simply can't obtain LGP until and unless you're in the "path". Path can have many interpretations, but standing in the corner while a player is driving down the lane isn't one of them.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope you're joking.

You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol

My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.

Last edited by bucky; Wed Mar 20, 2019 at 05:47pm.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You indicate "100%" of the time then you follow it with "just about every contact." lol
Well, I don't expect you to get it when you mix up two difference scenarios and think they're one.
Quote:
My interpretation of your description ("Seeing A1 beat B1, B4 races across the lane while turned sideways (relative to A1). A1 crashes into B4's left side as B4 crosses A1's path.") will not result in a block 100% of the time. More like 1% of the time, lol. I usually interpret someone "crashing" into someone as a team control foul. If you want last word, then go for it. I am off this topic.
In decades of watching and officiating basketball, I've never see that called a TC foul at any level. You're either being deliberately difficult or have no idea what is being talked about.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 11:28am
NFHS Official

Just my thoughts.....

Play 1.....defender is moving obliquely, not forward, offensive players head and shoulders never get past the defender...PC

Play 2....PC