The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video)

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2019, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP (Video)

Meh. I don’t love the call. Don’t hate it but don’t love it, either. Didn’t look like the ball handler initiated the contact and it didn’t look like he warded off, either. I’d prefer a call on the defender here. Not the easiest call to make in crowded transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Didn’t look like the ball handler initiated the contact and it didn’t look like he warded off, either. I’d prefer a call on the defender here.

Who initiated contact is really not relevant. They collided and (usually) one or the other illegal in doing so. The right question is did the defender have LGP or not. The offense can "initiate contact" all day and still get a foul on a defender if the defender doesn't have LGP. If that were not the case, 99% of fast breaks with defenders trying to get back would be charges.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Who initiated contact is really not relevant. They collided and (usually) one or the other illegal in doing so. The right question is did the defender have LGP or not. The offense can "initiate contact" all day and still get a foul on a defender if the defender doesn't have LGP. If that were not the case, 99% of fast breaks with defenders trying to get back would be charges.

Fair point but do you have an opinion on this play? The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP), or a case of LGP being established. I didn’t see either.

Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't think the defender is ever legal. Not a fan of the call.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

no call. lgp is iffy at best, and d was closing on o at an angle, but offense initiated. a better no call in my book.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
no call. lgp is iffy at best, and d was closing on o at an angle, but offense initiated. a better no call in my book.

I’m okay with that logic if the defender doesn’t tumble to the floor the way he did here. But with that tumble, the only way I’m no-calling is if the tumble was an obvious flop. Otherwise my instinct says there has to be a whistle on this play. Like an old clinician once said, “If players end up on the floor, know how they got there.”

Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fair point but do you have an opinion on this play? The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP), or a case of LGP being established. I didn’t see either.

I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree. They'd fall backwards if not....try to run fast without leaning forward.

I don't have the defender in LGP...block.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree. They'd fall backwards if not....try to run fast without leaning forward.

I don't have the defender in LGP...block.
I have yet to see anything that suggests a defender like this is not in LGP. He is doing all the things required and gets run into. PC foul all day and twice on Sunday.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I’m with JRut... what did the defender do wrong? In many plays we assume that the defender is wrong but why? What we need to do is officiate from the presumption that defenders play legally. ( we officiate the defense) ... we should never penalize good defense but it happens all too often....in this play the defender has done nothing wrong and gets displaced.

I like this call and think it is exactly what needed to be called...
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Correct call. This is not football, where an offensive player can legally stiff-arm or drive a shoulder into a defender to put him on the ground. By the same token, lack of LGP does not give the offensive player license to initiate illegal contact and get away with it scot-free. This is why there is an exception to the restricted area rule for when an offensive player uses an unnatural motion to illegally contact a defender (using a shoulder, forearm, or knee to create separation or knock the defender down). I would apply the same thinking anywhere else on the court, and call the player control foul on blue here.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Have A Note From My Mother ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
PC Foul called - Lowering the shoulder or not LGP
Quote:
The title inferred a lowering of the shoulder (which implies a charge and responsibility on the offense regardless of LGP),
Quote:
I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" as a reason for a foul in any rulebook. Every person who is running has lowered his/her shoulder to some degree.
Over many years, why have we seen many, many references to "lowering the shoulder" here on the Forum in reference to player control charging fouls?

Did I miss something when I first learned high school rules?

I remember talking about legal guarding position, feet, verticality, movement, airborne players, torsos, ducking, etc., but I don't remember discussing lowering shoulders (other than getting head and shoulders past the defender).

Was I absent that day?

Was it "Senior Skip Day"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 24, 2019 at 03:39pm.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Over many years, why have we seen many, many references to "lowering the shoulder" here on the Forum in reference to player control charging fouls?

Did I miss something when I first learned high school rules?

Was I absent that day?

Was it "Senior Skip Day"?

I’m with you Billy but that’s why I said lowering the shoulder (in the context of the OP) implies a charge. I never said it guarantees it, for as you correctly state there is no specific rules coverage for lowering of the shoulder.

Looks like as a forum we’re professionally split on who had greater responsibility for the contact and whether LGP requirements were met. It was a close play, so I guess that’s ok.

Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colloquial Rule Of Shoulder ...

Quote:
... there is no specific rules coverage for lowering of the shoulder.
Could it be some colloquial rule of thumb to help officials make a correct block/charge call?

If so, can it be shared with the rest of us, I've never heard about it in my high school games here in my little corner of Connecticut?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 24, 2019 at 03:46pm.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2019, 03:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post

Who initiates contact is not important if B doesn't have LGP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro