Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 04, 2019, 03:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
My “not closely guarded” signal is my lack of counting.”
As was mine for the first half of my career, then we switched to a "unofficial" not closely guarded spread arms signal, the we went back to "not counting" as the "signal" (IAABO International slap on the wrist), and now were back to a not closely guarded spread arms signal, but now it's "official" (however it was unannounced).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 04, 2019 at 06:53pm.
Old Sun May 05, 2019, 07:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
My “not closely guarded” signal is my lack of counting.

My "not closely guarded" signal is for one purpose, to keep coaches from asking/commenting about my lack of a 5 second count. I work with too many officials who don't count when they should.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun May 05, 2019, 08:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Six Feet Not Three Feet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I work with too many officials who don't count when they should.
Same problem here in Connecticut. We've been told that we're not rewarding good defense and have been shown various "six foot" distances with various lines on the court to use as a reference.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 05, 2019 at 09:08am.
Old Sun May 05, 2019, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stop Complaining ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
My "not closely guarded" signal is for one purpose, to keep coaches from asking/commenting about my lack of a 5 second count.
Before the spread arms signal was "unofficial" or "official", I was using it for the same purpose, "Stop complaining coach, not quite six feet".

No complaints, no spread arms signal.

Old Sun May 05, 2019, 08:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Mechanics Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same problem here in my little corner of Connecticut. We've been told that we're not rewarding good defense and have been shown various "six foot" distances with various lines on the court to use as a reference.

Do you get paid every time you use the phrase "my little corner of Connecticut?" Oh, FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun May 05, 2019, 09:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

All Four Corners And Everything In Between ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Do you get paid every time you use the phrase "my little corner of Connecticut?"
Fixed it.

Reviewed my post and found it to be not accurate.

"Not rewarding the defense" was not a problem only associated with my local board, it was pointed out by the IAABO International interpreter who observed officials from all of our Connecticut local boards at our state tournament semis and finals.

Throughout my career, two of my local interpreters have also been Connecticut state interpreters, sometimes making difficult to ascertain if an issue being discussed is a statewide issue, or a local issue.

The Connecticut tourism board sends me a check every time I mention Connecticut in a post.

Every little bit helps when one is retired and is on a fixed income.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 05, 2019 at 09:25am.
Old Mon May 06, 2019, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same questions for bucky:

Why doesn't this signal catch on more universally on the high school level, i.e. NFHS, IAABO, etc.?

Am I missing any negatives about the signal? It seems helpful to scorekeepers, coaches, and fans.
I am one of the very few that point and by point I mean holding two fingers down towards where it occurred. Others will, when it is a two-point shot but close to a three, immediately and adamantly signal to the table that it was a two by pointing two fingers, like the peace sign.

I do not claim to be an expert but I will claim to be the best at trying to get better in any way. Around our area, officials do not have the same level of care. They do not strive to get better by attending training meetings, camps, etc. Very few are concerned with tests, POE's, rule/mechanic changes, etc. They simply do not have to care as there are not enough officials. There are no younger/newer officials either. It is very discouraging.

Use a new mechanic for clarity? Most around here do not use the current mechanics very well.

Last edited by bucky; Tue May 07, 2019 at 10:58pm.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Check ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... will, when it is a two-point shot but close to a three, immediately and adamantly signal to the table that it was a two by pointing two fingers, like the peace sign.
Many of us will do that (as well as an audible "Two") as a "double check" after we've already pointed to the three point line on a close two point the attempt.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 08, 2019 at 08:18am.