Thread: Mechanics Creep
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 05, 2019, 10:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I often see NF level officials who use non-NF mechanics/signals during a game. For example, 1) when chopping in the clock a ref will make a 'fist' and snap it in hemi-circle, instead of vertically stricking an open-hand downward. I have seen NBA and NCAA refs do this; however, to my limited knowledge this is not NF-approved?

2) when signalling a "Block" I frequently see NF level refs bouncing their closed fists off their hips several time s in ar ather animated fashion; however, in my limited knowledge I believe the NF mechanic is to place both open hands on your waist between the index and thumb area.

3) when a FT attempt misses the ring entirely, I frequently see NF level refs hold up an index finger and swirl it several times; however, in my limited knowledge I believe the NF mechanic is to sound your whistle, raise your arm with an open hand, and point in the other direction [optional to say "no ring/no rim"] and indicate that we're heading the other direction.

Aside from a 'purist' point of view, is there anything troubling about these observations?
No. Any other questions?