The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Another throw in sit

Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB.

Where does the next throw in by B take place?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 04:04pm
High Five Master

If it was never touched inbounds, go back to original throw in spot
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 04:12pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB. Where does the next throw in by B take place?
Is this 2007,08 NFHS Interpretation relevant?
SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB.

Where does the next throw in by B take place?
At the spot where A2 caused the ball to be out of bounds.

The interp above is a great citation. Also check 7-1-2a 1, 7-2-1 and 2, 4-42-5b

Last edited by billyu2; Sun Feb 03, 2019 at 05:22pm.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Garden Variety ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
At the spot where A2 caused the ball to be out of bounds.
Agree. It's not a throwin violation, it's a garden variety out of bounds violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
If it was never touched inbounds, go back to original throw in spot
That was FED's i(incorrect) interp about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they corrected it within a year or two after issuing it.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the relevant info!

Follow up question...

In the rule posted by Freddy, doesn't the wording seem confusing regarding the AP arrow being changed?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient History ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That was FED's i(incorrect) interp about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they corrected it within a year or two after issuing it.
An ancient interpretation that this was a throwin violation because the inbounder did not pass the ball directly to a player on the court. This interpretation is now as dead as an Egyptian mummy. No need to call Lara Croft.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the relevant info!

Follow up question...

In the rule posted by Freddy, doesn't the wording seem confusing regarding the AP arrow being changed?
I don't think so -- but you are not the only one to ask the quesiton, so it might be.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

7-6-2

ART. 2

The throw-in begins when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in begins. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.
Sorry, no case play
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 11:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
An ancient interpretation that this was a throwin violation because the inbounder did not pass the ball directly to a player on the court. This interpretation is now as dead as an Egyptian mummy. No need to call Lara Croft.

Actually, the current Rule is the Ancient Rule. The "Ancient Rule" to which Billy refers was the Rule between the Rule as it is now which was also the Ancient Rule before the "Ancient Rule".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think so -- but you are not the only one to ask the quesiton, so it might be.
I agree, I don't see anything confusing. They are making it clear that the AP throw in ended and to switch the arrow.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2019, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I agree, I don't see anything confusing. They are making it clear that the AP throw in ended and to switch the arrow.
After re-reading it I agree. Just seemed like it could’ve been written a little better. I may be dyslexic.