The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another throw in sit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104347-another-throw-sit.html)

thumpferee Sun Feb 03, 2019 04:02pm

Another throw in sit

Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB.

Where does the next throw in by B take place?

BlueDevilRef Sun Feb 03, 2019 04:04pm

If it was never touched inbounds, go back to original throw in spot

Freddy Sun Feb 03, 2019 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1029747)
Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB. Where does the next throw in by B take place?

Is this 2007,08 NFHS Interpretation relevant?
SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

billyu2 Sun Feb 03, 2019 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1029747)
Play;

A1 has spot throw-in in A's front court. Ball is thrown and bounces deep in A's backcourt. Ball bounces high as A2 and B2 both try for it. Neither touches the ball as they both find themselves OOB on the end line. The ball then comes down and touches A2 standing OOB.

Where does the next throw in by B take place?

At the spot where A2 caused the ball to be out of bounds.

The interp above is a great citation. Also check 7-1-2a 1, 7-2-1 and 2, 4-42-5b

BillyMac Sun Feb 03, 2019 04:28pm

Garden Variety ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1029751)
At the spot where A2 caused the ball to be out of bounds.

Agree. It's not a throwin violation, it's a garden variety out of bounds violation.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 03, 2019 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1029748)
If it was never touched inbounds, go back to original throw in spot

That was FED's i(incorrect) interp about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they corrected it within a year or two after issuing it.

thumpferee Sun Feb 03, 2019 06:53pm

Thank you all for the relevant info!

Follow up question...

In the rule posted by Freddy, doesn't the wording seem confusing regarding the AP arrow being changed?

BillyMac Sun Feb 03, 2019 07:15pm

Ancient History ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1029759)
That was FED's i(incorrect) interp about 15 years ago. Thankfully, they corrected it within a year or two after issuing it.

An ancient interpretation that this was a throwin violation because the inbounder did not pass the ball directly to a player on the court. This interpretation is now as dead as an Egyptian mummy. No need to call Lara Croft.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 03, 2019 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1029763)
Thank you all for the relevant info!

Follow up question...

In the rule posted by Freddy, doesn't the wording seem confusing regarding the AP arrow being changed?

I don't think so -- but you are not the only one to ask the quesiton, so it might be.

Zoochy Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04am

7-6-2

ART. 2

The throw-in begins when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in begins. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.
Sorry, no case play

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1029759)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1029766)
An ancient interpretation that this was a throwin violation because the inbounder did not pass the ball directly to a player on the court. This interpretation is now as dead as an Egyptian mummy. No need to call Lara Croft.

Actually, the current Rule is the Ancient Rule. The "Ancient Rule" to which Billy refers was the Rule between the Rule as it is now which was also the Ancient Rule before the "Ancient Rule".

MTD, Sr.

deecee Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1029769)
I don't think so -- but you are not the only one to ask the quesiton, so it might be.

I agree, I don't see anything confusing. They are making it clear that the AP throw in ended and to switch the arrow.

thumpferee Mon Feb 04, 2019 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1029806)
I agree, I don't see anything confusing. They are making it clear that the AP throw in ended and to switch the arrow.

After re-reading it I agree. Just seemed like it could’ve been written a little better. I may be dyslexic.