The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Players coming off bench

I had 2-man, BV tonight. 4 minutes to play in a hotly contested game, I am T, tableside. My partner and I simultaneously call a held ball in the lane, and I come running in when I see A1 and B1 are not letting go. They continue to fight for the ball, and it gets a bit heated with all players milling around, and we restore order. He calls a double T on A1 and B1. He then asks me if anyone came off the bench. I said "I did not see anyone come off the bench", mainly because I was not looking there. I have had it drilled into my head never to turn my back on the players. So....was my partner supposed to observe the benches, since he is facing that direction, or me?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I had 2-man, BV tonight. 4 minutes to play in a hotly contested game, I am T, tableside. My partner and I simultaneously call a held ball in the lane, and I come running in when I see A1 and B1 are not letting go. They continue to fight for the ball, and it gets a bit heated with all players milling around, and we restore order. He calls a double T on A1 and B1. He then asks me if anyone came off the bench. I said "I did not see anyone come off the bench", mainly because I was not looking there. I have had it drilled into my head never to turn my back on the players. So....was my partner supposed to observe the benches, since he is facing that direction, or me?
Were punches thrown? Did a fight break out?

While I've luckily never been a part of a game where a full on bench-clearing brawl has happened, I can't imagine a scenario where players would come off the bench for a heated held ball. Just me though, I'm sure it's happened before.

Why was the double technical issued?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

No punches, just heated tempers and all players rushed in. The double T was issued because A1 and B1 continued to fight for the ball well after the whistle, rolling around on the floor.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Two officials, ten players, one basketball?

In the circumstances you describe--two refs, no actual fight or confrontation--watching for "anyone off the bench" is not high on my list of priorities.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Two officials, ten players, one basketball?

In the circumstances you describe--two refs, no actual fight or confrontation--watching for "anyone off the bench" is not high on my list of priorities.
Agreed -- you can get (some of it) maybe when order has been restored on the floor. You can see if anyone "ran past" you (maybe); he can look past you to see what's happening (maybe).
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but yet another reason that 3-man is superior. Normally, the closest two people can close in and the farthest away (3rd official) can stand back and observe players benches etc. Makes two man difficult for situations like you described. As played I would be more concerned closing in on the jump ball and potential issues escalating with the players involved. If you see something in your peripheral you may catch it but the bench is not the primary coverage area there.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

First Things First ...

I've been very fortunate to have no "more than two player" fights in the past thirty-eight years, but if I were in this situation, the players involved in the overly aggressive held ball, and those immediately around them, would get all of my attention. Once that ends I can make a quick count, or watch for players heading back to their benches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 05:46pm
Administrator

Like Billy Mac, despite my long career (knock knock on my head) I have not anything more than two player kerfluffles.

It is difficult for a Two-Person Crew to cover everything in a situation as described in the OP. That said, in the situation in the OP, with both Officials converging on the two players involved it is important for the Official OoT to be aware the Benches.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio