The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Players coming off bench (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104340-players-coming-off-bench.html)

ChuckS Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37pm

Players coming off bench

I had 2-man, BV tonight. 4 minutes to play in a hotly contested game, I am T, tableside. My partner and I simultaneously call a held ball in the lane, and I come running in when I see A1 and B1 are not letting go. They continue to fight for the ball, and it gets a bit heated with all players milling around, and we restore order. He calls a double T on A1 and B1. He then asks me if anyone came off the bench. I said "I did not see anyone come off the bench", mainly because I was not looking there. I have had it drilled into my head never to turn my back on the players. So....was my partner supposed to observe the benches, since he is facing that direction, or me?

bas2456 Fri Feb 01, 2019 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1029643)
I had 2-man, BV tonight. 4 minutes to play in a hotly contested game, I am T, tableside. My partner and I simultaneously call a held ball in the lane, and I come running in when I see A1 and B1 are not letting go. They continue to fight for the ball, and it gets a bit heated with all players milling around, and we restore order. He calls a double T on A1 and B1. He then asks me if anyone came off the bench. I said "I did not see anyone come off the bench", mainly because I was not looking there. I have had it drilled into my head never to turn my back on the players. So....was my partner supposed to observe the benches, since he is facing that direction, or me?

Were punches thrown? Did a fight break out?

While I've luckily never been a part of a game where a full on bench-clearing brawl has happened, I can't imagine a scenario where players would come off the bench for a heated held ball. Just me though, I'm sure it's happened before.

Why was the double technical issued?

ChuckS Fri Feb 01, 2019 08:02am

No punches, just heated tempers and all players rushed in. The double T was issued because A1 and B1 continued to fight for the ball well after the whistle, rolling around on the floor.

LRZ Fri Feb 01, 2019 08:38am

Two officials, ten players, one basketball?

In the circumstances you describe--two refs, no actual fight or confrontation--watching for "anyone off the bench" is not high on my list of priorities.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 01, 2019 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1029653)
Two officials, ten players, one basketball?

In the circumstances you describe--two refs, no actual fight or confrontation--watching for "anyone off the bench" is not high on my list of priorities.

Agreed -- you can get (some of it) maybe when order has been restored on the floor. You can see if anyone "ran past" you (maybe); he can look past you to see what's happening (maybe).

sdoebler Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but yet another reason that 3-man is superior. Normally, the closest two people can close in and the farthest away (3rd official) can stand back and observe players benches etc. Makes two man difficult for situations like you described. As played I would be more concerned closing in on the jump ball and potential issues escalating with the players involved. If you see something in your peripheral you may catch it but the bench is not the primary coverage area there.

BillyMac Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:37pm

First Things First ...

I've been very fortunate to have no "more than two player" fights in the past thirty-eight years, but if I were in this situation, the players involved in the overly aggressive held ball, and those immediately around them, would get all of my attention. Once that ends I can make a quick count, or watch for players heading back to their benches.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 01, 2019 05:46pm

Like Billy Mac, despite my long career (knock knock on my head) I have not anything more than two player kerfluffles.

It is difficult for a Two-Person Crew to cover everything in a situation as described in the OP. That said, in the situation in the OP, with both Officials converging on the two players involved it is important for the Official OoT to be aware the Benches.

MTD, Sr.