The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 534
Coach starts game sitting outside coaching box

I have searched the forum, and checked the rulebook including the searchable digital version. Can someone please point me to where in the rulebook/casebook it talks about a coach who starts out the game sitting outside the box may not stand within the box? Am I imagining that being a rule??
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
You need to read the case book. If you arenít, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You need to read the case book. If you arenít, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C
I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.
Itís a tough read..but try to read it all the way through...many times...You canít read it enough...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,715
Seat Belt ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
10.6.1C
Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:03pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,715
Closer ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.
Can't he choose to sit "closer" to the table than allowed with the box?
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.
I know what you mean/saying but itís not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I know what you mean/saying but itís not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
Sure, s/he can sit there... but if s/he does, s/he loses the right to stand throughout the game. Case play says it best.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there canít get up. Not something I focus on during games..
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there canít get up. Not something I focus on during games..
I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.
I donít think thereís a rule that says they canít sit there...If game mgt puts benches there they can sit there...all game..,
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.
If a coach is one seat away I’ll let it be... if he’s more than one I will tell him you need to have your seat inside the box if you want to stand and coach.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sitting beyond coaching box line All_Heart Basketball 20 Wed Oct 28, 2009 01:40am
COach sitting outathm Volleyball 7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 03:18pm
Coaching the coach... Andy Softball 6 Sun Mar 18, 2007 09:49am
game mgmt./ sitting coach cloverdale Basketball 19 Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:20pm
Delay of game. Clock starts when? Mike Simonds Football 9 Thu Sep 12, 2002 08:50pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1