The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach starts game sitting outside coaching box (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104321-coach-starts-game-sitting-outside-coaching-box.html)

UNIgiantslayers Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:32pm

Coach starts game sitting outside coaching box
 
I have searched the forum, and checked the rulebook including the searchable digital version. Can someone please point me to where in the rulebook/casebook it talks about a coach who starts out the game sitting outside the box may not stand within the box? Am I imagining that being a rule??

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:38pm

You need to read the case book. If you arenít, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C

UNIgiantslayers Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029243)
You need to read the case book. If you arenít, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C

I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1029244)
I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.

Itís a tough read..but try to read it all the way through...many times...You canít read it enough...

BillyMac Thu Jan 24, 2019 01:49pm

Seat Belt ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029243)
10.6.1C

Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1029248)
Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.

This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.

BillyMac Thu Jan 24, 2019 02:12pm

Closer ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029255)
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.

Can't he choose to sit "closer" to the table than allowed with the box?

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029255)
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.

I know what you mean/saying but itís not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..

Raymond Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029262)
I know what you mean/saying but itís not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..

Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?

Matt S. Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029266)
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?

Sure, s/he can sit there... but if s/he does, s/he loses the right to stand throughout the game. Case play says it best.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029266)
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?

That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1029266)
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?

Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there canít get up. Not something I focus on during games..

UNIgiantslayers Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1029269)
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there canít get up. Not something I focus on during games..

I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1029268)
That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.

I donít think thereís a rule that says they canít sit there...If game mgt puts benches there they can sit there...all game..,

BigCat Thu Jan 24, 2019 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1029270)
I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.

If a coach is one seat away I’ll let it be... if he’s more than one I will tell him you need to have your seat inside the box if you want to stand and coach.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1