The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Rule 3-4-3i. The clock starts on the snap when the penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted.

Last Saturday, the referee started the clock on the ready after a delay of game penalty was assessed. The reason given was that the clock was running (previous play was a running play that ended inbounds).

My question is this: Does the referee have the authority under the rules to start the clock on the ready after a delay of game penalty is accepted? If so, what is the rule reference? I always thought that the clock starts on the snap after every delay of game foul if it is accepted.

Carpe Diem!
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

True, it normally will start on the Snap.
But, if you look at (NF) 3-6-3, you'll see the Ref has a guideline for when he feels the delay is by a team attempting to illegally conserve time or run time off.

In your game, only you can assess if that was the case.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Corrected post.

Thanks for your answer.

Actually what happened during the game was this: Team A is leading and has the ball. There is about 1 yard to go for the first down. Team A has been moving the ball well against Team B during the game. Clock is running. Team A lineman false starts.

Referee started the clock on the ready for play signal because in his judgement Team A was not trying to run time off the clock.

At our meeting last night we all agreed that in this case the referee made a good decision based on the particular factors in this game.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting series of plays.

I only ref flag football at this point in my life, and one of our rules is that the clock does not stop (except at the ref's discretion) at all in the first half. We have a 25 second play clock that is enforced at around 35/40 seconds.

I wasn't on this game last year, but here's the sitch. Team A is on their 5 yard line with 4th and 15 (1st down zones are 20 yds. apart), the clock is winding down toward the end of the half, and it's obvious that they will have to punt. Instead, they run off the play clock, the crew marches off half the distance to the goal, and the clock keeps running. A repeats this until the half expires.

Obviously, this is a situation in which the ref should use his discretion and stop the clock. If, however, it were completely prohibited to do so, what would you suggest as a remedy?
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Interesting series of plays.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I only ref flag football at this point in my life, and one of our rules is that the clock does not stop (except at the ref's discretion) at all in the first half. We have a 25 second play clock that is enforced at around 35/40 seconds.

I wasn't on this game last year, but here's the sitch. Team A is on their 5 yard line with 4th and 15 (1st down zones are 20 yds. apart), the clock is winding down toward the end of the half, and it's obvious that they will have to punt. Instead, they run off the play clock, the crew marches off half the distance to the goal, and the clock keeps running. A repeats this until the half expires.

Obviously, this is a situation in which the ref should use his discretion and stop the clock. If, however, it were completely prohibited to do so, what would you suggest as a remedy?
Federation has a couple of rules that might address this. 1. Making a travesty of the game.

2. No team shall continuously commit fouls that halve the distance to the goal.

Referee is authorized to penalize for these any way he sees fit including the award of a score.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Corrected post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Thanks for your answer.

Actually what happened during the game was this: Team A is leading and has the ball. There is about 1 yard to go for the first down. Team A has been moving the ball well against Team B during the game. Clock is running. Team A lineman false starts.

Referee started the clock on the ready for play signal because in his judgement Team A was not trying to run time off the clock.

At our meeting last night we all agreed that in this case the referee made a good decision based on the particular factors in this game.
What was the time on the clock and the score?
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I'm a little confused over your post. At first you question when the clock starts after a delay of game penalty. Generally, it starts on the snap unless the R thinks that A is trying to convserve time (an extra 25 second play clock with out the game clock running). In your second post you correct the foul to false start (with the clock running). In this situation the clock starts on the RFP. I think it would be very difficult to prove A is consuming time by huddling, shifting to a formation, and then committing a false start. I suppose it could be proved by how "deliberate" the false start was.

Just MHO.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

There are a lot of what-ifs to this, but Team-A could be hanging on by 6 points or less, and maybe this is a fourth down play. Team-B is out of TOs.
They just consumed 24 seconds prior to the false start. Now they get 25 more seconds to snap while the clock is running down and instead of having to kick the ball away and risk a runback for a TD by Team-B. They just have to field the snap and run a couple yards and fall down. Game over.

That is why the R can cause the clock to be started on the Snap in this case.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey,

Your scenerio is well put, but to start the clock on the snap you must believe that A's false start is deliberate. To do otherwise falsely punishes A further and gives B a potential edge.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, it's a tought call to have to make.