The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 01:55pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I then undressed and left the school.
You've probably warmed up enough by now to realize you forever endeared yourself to said assigner.

Remember this when your schedule goes bye-bye. You could have at least waited while your assigner tried to find replacements.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Questions Unanswered ...

Quote:
My assigner had advised me to leave, so I called both coaches together before the game was supposed to start, and told them that the game would not be played, because I cannot officiate alone. The AD called my assigner again, but when my assigner called me back, I told her that I had "zero interest in working a one-person game, especially on short notice".
We've heard everything that happened except what your assigner told you in the second phone call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 21, 2019 at 06:13pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We've heard everything that happened except what your assigner tell you in the second phone call?
I noticed that the teams were present with only one official present (myself). I then texted the assigner to say that both teams are here, but I am the only official. I got an answer that I should leave. Then, I informed both coaches, and left to the locker room. In the second phone call (when I was in the locker room), the assigner asked me if I had called to ask to stay. I said, no, the home AD made the call to ask if I could work alone. That was when I said the one-liner about zero interest. My assigner said OK, and the call ended shortly afterwards. I then undressed and left the facility.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I do not know if DC has a relevant law like Wisconsin, but I am not physically able to do the jobs of three people at once. This is why I cannot work scholastic games alone. I also will not work scholastic games alone, because I do not want to jeopardize the safety of the players by my inability to see and call what a 2 (or 3)person crew should be able to see and call.

Recreational games may be different, especially if I know that a partner is due to arrive within a few minutes of the start of the game, and the game is a lower-level contest. This is because it is important to keep recreational games on schedule as much as possible, especially for league directors, because they may have limits on the time they can use the gym space.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 06:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Didn't Made Any New Friends That Day ...

Quote:
... My assigner said OK ...
If on two separate occasions your assigner told you not to work the game alone, then there's nothing you could do about it except not work the game.

However, if in the second phone call your assigner asked you to work the game alone and you wiggled out of it, well, that's another story, and you didn't made any new friends that day.

Quote:
... because I cannot officiate alone.
Cannot, as state rule based like in Wisconsin?

Cannot, because your assigner wouldn't allow it?

Or you unilaterally decided you would not?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 21, 2019 at 06:14pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hard To Shake ...

Quote:
... because I cannot officiate alone.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1027593

ilyazhito: I strongly suggest that you find out what the one person guidelines are for each association/state that you work for.

Walking out with hundreds of ticket buying fans in the stands, a paid table crew, cheerleaders, and two teams of players warming up, one group that may have traveled many miles in a expensive bus, is a "reputation killer" that will be hard to shake (unless you have the full 100% backing of your assigner/state).

Quote:
I do not know if DC has a relevant law like Wisconsin.
Well you better find out. Soon. Like yesterday.

Are you even aware if there is, or isn't, a fee structures in place to accommodate such one person situations (example, 1.5 x fee)? The answer to that might give you a clue if one person games are allowed, or outlawed (Wisconsin).

Take a break from memorizing all the rule sets, on all the levels, in all the states, and countries, and who uses three person, and who uses shot clocks, and figure out what's going on in own own backyard.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 21, 2019 at 06:42pm.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

The assigner told me both times that I should not work alone. I was in total agreement with that. Even if there was a 1.5x fee for working solo, that only would be relevant if the game was supposed to be done by 2 officials. This was a varsity game, so it would have been assigned 3 officials if it was not repeatedly cancelled and uncancelled within the day before the game and the day of the game.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

ilyazhito, I would not blame you for saying no if, after working a jv game, you were expected to also work a varsity game solo.

But did you have a partner on the jv game, and if so, where did he/she go? Was it not possible for the two of you to work the varsity game?

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Jan 21, 2019 at 09:11pm.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

My partner from the JV game had left, because he had family plans. He and his wife were present at the JV game, and both left shortly after it ended. I then called my assigner to ask if they could send other officials (or ask the boys' officials to come early; the boys varsity game was regularly scheduled for later that day and had a normal 3-person crew assigned to it). When I received the advice to leave, I understood that I wouldn't receive reinforcements, and so decided to end the girls varsity game before it started.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Yep had a ceiling drip this Sunday on a few spots on the court. We tried the old mop it up method and it worked for first half but as game went on drips were coming down more frequently. First time a player slipped I stopped the game spoke to my partner and suspended the game. Text sent to assignor and no complaints.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 08:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Off The Hook ...

Quote:
The assigner told me both times that I should not work alone ...
That takes you off the hook and puts all the onus on your assigner and the game administrators. It's their problem not yours.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 22, 2019 at 08:59am.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Was working a summer rec league on a non-wooden surface. It was a really humid night (as those of us in the Chicago area know how it can be) and the floor wasn't handling it well. I originally thought it was just a sweat mark, but it quickly became evident that we shouldn't be playing.

When player safety is involved, ALWAYS error on the side of caution. I don't think anyone could fault you for reasonably having the players' best interests in mind.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Was working a summer rec league on a non-wooden surface. It was a really humid night (as those of us in the Chicago area know how it can be) and the floor wasn't handling it well. I originally thought it was just a sweat mark, but it quickly became evident that we shouldn't be playing.

When player safety is involved, ALWAYS error on the side of caution. I don't think anyone could fault you for reasonably having the players' best interests in mind.
Agree 100000%
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a different, yet similar situation...
How is what you went on to describe even REMOTELY "similar" to the situation described when this thread was started? Thread hijacks are annoying.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mine was also a safety-related issue requiring the game to not be played (or affecting gameplay) just like the condensation situation in the OP. Again, I apologize if my hijacking the thread offended anyone. I intended to contribute to this thread with a similar experience from one of my games.