The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Rule book says a successful try scores 1 point for a field goal or safety by B. How can a safety be scored???

A try ends when:
1. B secures possession
2. it is apparent a drop kick or place kick will not score
3. try is successful
4. ball becomes dead for any other reason.

I have racked my poor little brain and cannot think how that safety would be scored. 8-p

The only thing I come up with per 8-3-3 is say the QB for A runs 97 yards the other way and get tackled by B in he end zone, then 1 point for A (on a safety by B by the way the rule reads). I know, that makes no sense.

Enlighten me!!!!

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

A is going for 2 point try. A fumbles the ball which comes to almost complete rest on the 3-yard line. B in an attempt to secure the ball adds a new force which causes the ball to go through B's end zone and over the end line. By B forcing the ball into it's own end zone and it becoming dead there it is scored as a safety for A. In this case 1 point. The thing to remember is that on a 2 point try the play is not dead until there is a score, the ball becomes dead or B comes into possession of the ball. In the above scenario B never possessed the ball hence it was still a live ball when B put it into their own end zone.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Does A then kick off, just like normally after a try?
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

It would be like a normal try in this case. Remember that a try is an add on play that technically is not part of regular play, hence the untimed down. Also, the rules allow for the team scored upon to determine who kicks off. There's one for you referees. How many of you ask the team that was just scored upon if they wish to kick or receive? None of us, of course, as it is obvious what they will want to do. However, if ever you have a coach of a team just scored on that says we'll kick instead of receive remember to pick up you jaw as you run back to your position so that you will not fill you mouth full of grass!
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Does A then kick off, just like normally after a try?
REPLY: Yes. They were the scoring team.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Another example of a safety would be if you penalized A 95 yards or so with 8 or 9 USC penalties so that the try would take place from their own three. If B can get a safety, it's one point.

It's kind of like OT. Here in Georgia we just started the new overtime procedure (somewhat like NFHS procedure) for OT last year. Of course, if B scores they win, but it'd be pretty hard to do when they can't gain possession. If somehow A gets pushed back to their own end of the field and gets a safety for some reason, B wins. But I'd love to see how they got back there in the first place.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
Another example of a safety would be if you penalized A 95 yards or so with 8 or 9 USC penalties so that the try would take place from their own three. If B can get a safety, it's one point.

It's kind of like OT. Here in Georgia we just started the new overtime procedure (somewhat like NFHS procedure) for OT last year. Of course, if B scores they win, but it'd be pretty hard to do when they can't gain possession. If somehow A gets pushed back to their own end of the field and gets a safety for some reason, B wins. But I'd love to see how they got back there in the first place.
Todd,
If we have enough consecutive USC fouls to cause that to even be remotely possible I am going to envoke the travesty rule and stop the game. Also, I believe the intent of the rule is that only A can score on a try. If that is the case then only A could score a safety on a try.

Bruce
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you on that one.

For some reason, when we had out State Rules Meeting here two years ago he went over this. We all had a nice chuckle out of it, but he thought it appropriate to address that B "could" legally score on a try and in OT. Like you say though, if it ever gets that bad I'm getting off the field and going home.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef

Todd,
If we have enough consecutive USC fouls to cause that to even be remotely possible I am going to envoke the travesty rule and stop the game. Also, I believe the intent of the rule is that only A can score on a try. If that is the case then only A could score a safety on a try.

Bruce
B cannot score any points on a try EVER by current NF rules. Only A can score.

Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

B cannot score any points on a try EVER by current NF rules. Only A can score.
Mike you're right, Case Book 8.3.3, page 59, the last sentence states : "B cannot score during a try down."
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Good to know.

Maybe he was only talking about OT. But I'm pretty sure our instructor that night was referring to try downs as well.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Talking

ahh yes, B knocking it with a new force into/out of their end zone. Makes perfect sense.
I only pray that never happens in a game of mine. To try and get anyone to understand it would be next to impossible...lol

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Closed Thread