The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 11:00am
Often wrong never n doubt

triplets switching free throw shooters

This is making the rounds. Brothers having the other shoot the free throws.

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/2464911002
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Perfect opportunity to assess a T for "knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled."

That is, assuming we memorized the number of the correct shooter.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Perfect opportunity to assess a T for "knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled."

That is, assuming we memorized the number of the correct shooter.
Which we rarely but possibly can fail to do as the calling or the non-calling official if we don't utilize prescribed mechanics at the site of the foul (as described in the official's manual).
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 12:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hilarious Crazy Teenage Hijinks And Shenanigans ...

Reminds me of the Patty Duke Show (ABC, 1963).

https://youtu.be/qQTqKcojrVY

"Where Cathy adores the minuet, the Ballet Russe and crêpes Suzette, our Patty loves to rock 'n' roll, a hot dog makes her lose control. What a wild duet! Still, they're cousins, identical cousins and you'll find, they laugh alike, they walk alike, at times they even talk alike. You can lose your mind, when cousins are two of a kind."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 07, 2019 at 12:55pm.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 01:20pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Hypothetical

A1 shoots the first free throw and makes it. Officials realize A1 shouldn't be shooting. T on A1. Does A2 get to attempt the first free throw again?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Correctable Error ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
A1 shoots the first free throw and makes it. Officials realize A1 shouldn't be shooting. T on A1. Does A2 get to attempt the first free throw again?
CORRECTABLE ERRORS
ART. 1 Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in: c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
ART. 2 In order to correct any of the officials’ errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Hypothetical

Yes, the original FTs would be canceled and the correct player would attempt them again, if the officials caught the error during the proper timeframe.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 08:57pm
High Five Master

This is one of our “local” schools. I’ve never had them in basketball but have had them many times in softball. They are just outside our association but we do have them in tournaments. Thankfully, I don’t think this was our associations officials on this game.

Word is these boys have perfected this and dad (their varsity coach) turns a blind eye. Most surmise he coaches them to do it.

Our state office has stated they can’t do anything about the game results, which I understand, but it would be nice to see some type of punishment, several game suspensions for the players and coach, which would hopefully send the message to knock off the crap. But as of now, there has been nothing handed down
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 10:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Our state office has stated they can’t do anything about the game results, which I understand, but it would be nice to see some type of punishment, several game suspensions for the players and coach, which would hopefully send the message to knock off the crap. But as of now, there has been nothing handed down.

If there's a plus side to this, officials that have this team for the remainder of the season may be more aware and vigilant in identifying the proper free throw shooter.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
If there's a plus side to this, officials that have this team for the remainder of the season may be more aware and vigilant in identifying the proper free throw shooter.
This right here. I have a feeling every official in the area has now seen this video. I normally just mention good sportsmanship to the captains and coaches and ask them to help with that. I'd be tempted to include an extra statement about how unsportsmanlike acts will be dealt with appropriately.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

In the hypothetical, both players engaged in unethical conduct. If you assess a player technical (10-4-6), do you give it to the FT shooting triplet? To the fouled triplet? To both (false multiple foul) for their complicity in the unsporting act? Or do you assess a single team technical (10-2-4)?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
In the hypothetical, both players engaged in unethical conduct. If you assess a player technical (10-4-6), do you give it to the FT shooting triplet? To the fouled triplet? To both (false multiple foul) for their complicity in the unsporting act? Or do you assess a single team technical (10-2-4)?
I don't have the books handy, but isn't the T for "attempting a FT to which the player is not entitled" or some words like that? Give the T to whoever goes to the FT line.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

I suppose it's like the "play" where one player lifts another. 10-4-6 also forbids both climbing upon and lifting a teammate. Theoretically, you could charge them both. I think the last time the climbing/lifting came up, the general consensus on this forum was to pick one (likely the climber).

My gut is what Bob said. The list in 10-4-6 is not all encompassing ("includes, but not limited to"). Both players are complicit in this deceit. But, 10-4-6-f expressly mentions "knowingly attempting a free throw". So, I'm likely charging that player and moving on. They will get the message.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
While you could theoretically support any of these options under the umbrella of "unsporting," the best option is to give one T to the player who goes to the line undeservingly. The rule explicitly supports a player T for "knowingly attempting a free throw...to which the player was not entitled." Nothing that the coach can argue there.

You don't need two T's here to send a message that you're not falling for this crap.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2019, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Edmund Hillary Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I suppose it's like the "play" where one player lifts another. 10-4-6 also forbids both climbing upon and lifting a teammate. Theoretically, you could charge them both. I think the last time the climbing/lifting came up, the general consensus on this forum was to pick one (likely the climber).
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...up-player.html

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...html#post28082