The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

non-shooters on free throw

Have had two partners (Varsity officials) recently move non-shooters on a free throw who are standing outside the 3 pt arc and just above the free throw line extended to a position above the top of the key. Did I miss a rule change?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Have had two partners (Varsity officials) recently move non-shooters on a free throw who are standing outside the 3 pt arc and just above the free throw line extended to a position above the top of the key. Did I miss a rule change?
No.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:06am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
No, sir.

8-1-5 is still the same.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ask them to show you the rule reference. If you're not comfortable with them, blame a skeptical "friend."
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Did you leave your book at home also?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I recently had a veteran official during FTs for an INT foul, move non-shooters to beyond half-court.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

When someone in a game tells you something that seems suspect, I would check the rule book as soon as possible after the game.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I recently had a veteran official during FTs for an INT foul, move non-shooters to beyond half-court.
Correct would have been anything outside the field of vision of the FT shooter, right? 8-1-3 "... shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane."

I've had officials constantly push them behind half court as well...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Correct would have been anything outside the field of vision of the FT shooter, right?
wrong.

Above the FT line extended and beyond the 3-point line.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... Above the FT line extended and beyond the 3-point line.
That's what was intended by outside the field of vision.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:41pm
This IS My Social Life

Why

One practical way to think about it:
Free throws with the lane vacated seems to be a time used by coaches to gather his players in front of the bench for a quick meeting. Nothing at all wrong with that. But that's a right both coaches deserve.
Those who require all players to move beyond the division line deprive one of the coaches of this opportunity. And if it's the first half and the intentional foul involved one of his players, I want to give him the opportunity to speak to him in this brief stoppage in play.
Make sense?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:43pm
NFHS Official

There is no rule which says that they must be behind the half court line, it is something we do. Just seems to settle every thing down, with the non administrating official watching these players to make sure nothing goes on.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
There is no rule which says that they must be behind the half court line, it is something we do. Just seems to settle every thing down, with the non administrating official watching these players to make sure nothing goes on.
I'm not going to direct players there...I have no authority to do so, but if they all want to congregate there without my input? I won't say anything...but I have had coaches want to talk to their players and had partners try to direct them back above halfcourt.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:54pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'm not going to direct players there...I have no authority to do so, but if they all want to congregate there without my input? I won't say anything...but I have had coaches want to talk to their players and had partners try to direct them back above halfcourt.
I ageree. If a coach wants to talk to his players he should be allowed to, I wouldn't make them move to the backcourt.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
So this is a common practice where you work?