The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   triplets switching free throw shooters (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104274-triplets-switching-free-throw-shooters.html)

jeremy341a Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00am

triplets switching free throw shooters

This is making the rounds. Brothers having the other shoot the free throws.

https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/2464911002

SC Official Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13am

Perfect opportunity to assess a T for "knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled."

That is, assuming we memorized the number of the correct shooter.

billyu2 Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1028381)
Perfect opportunity to assess a T for "knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled."

That is, assuming we memorized the number of the correct shooter.

Which we rarely but possibly can fail to do as the calling or the non-calling official if we don't utilize prescribed mechanics at the site of the foul (as described in the official's manual).

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:42pm

Hilarious Crazy Teenage Hijinks And Shenanigans ...

Reminds me of the Patty Duke Show (ABC, 1963).

https://youtu.be/qQTqKcojrVY

"Where Cathy adores the minuet, the Ballet Russe and crêpes Suzette, our Patty loves to rock 'n' roll, a hot dog makes her lose control. What a wild duet! Still, they're cousins, identical cousins and you'll find, they laugh alike, they walk alike, at times they even talk alike. You can lose your mind, when cousins are two of a kind."

jeremy341a Mon Jan 07, 2019 01:20pm

Hypothetical

A1 shoots the first free throw and makes it. Officials realize A1 shouldn't be shooting. T on A1. Does A2 get to attempt the first free throw again?

BillyMac Mon Jan 07, 2019 01:32pm

Correctable Error ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1028391)
A1 shoots the first free throw and makes it. Officials realize A1 shouldn't be shooting. T on A1. Does A2 get to attempt the first free throw again?

CORRECTABLE ERRORS
ART. 1 Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in: c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
ART. 2 In order to correct any of the officials’ errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 07, 2019 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 1028391)
Hypothetical

Yes, the original FTs would be canceled and the correct player would attempt them again, if the officials caught the error during the proper timeframe.

BlueDevilRef Mon Jan 07, 2019 08:57pm

This is one of our “local” schools. I’ve never had them in basketball but have had them many times in softball. They are just outside our association but we do have them in tournaments. Thankfully, I don’t think this was our associations officials on this game.

Word is these boys have perfected this and dad (their varsity coach) turns a blind eye. Most surmise he coaches them to do it.

Our state office has stated they can’t do anything about the game results, which I understand, but it would be nice to see some type of punishment, several game suspensions for the players and coach, which would hopefully send the message to knock off the crap. But as of now, there has been nothing handed down

Stat-Man Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44pm

Quote:

Our state office has stated they can’t do anything about the game results, which I understand, but it would be nice to see some type of punishment, several game suspensions for the players and coach, which would hopefully send the message to knock off the crap. But as of now, there has been nothing handed down.

If there's a plus side to this, officials that have this team for the remainder of the season may be more aware and vigilant in identifying the proper free throw shooter.

Altor Tue Jan 08, 2019 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1028420)
If there's a plus side to this, officials that have this team for the remainder of the season may be more aware and vigilant in identifying the proper free throw shooter.

This right here. I have a feeling every official in the area has now seen this video. I normally just mention good sportsmanship to the captains and coaches and ask them to help with that. I'd be tempted to include an extra statement about how unsportsmanlike acts will be dealt with appropriately.

LRZ Tue Jan 08, 2019 08:34am

In the hypothetical, both players engaged in unethical conduct. If you assess a player technical (10-4-6), do you give it to the FT shooting triplet? To the fouled triplet? To both (false multiple foul) for their complicity in the unsporting act? Or do you assess a single team technical (10-2-4)?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 08, 2019 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1028428)
In the hypothetical, both players engaged in unethical conduct. If you assess a player technical (10-4-6), do you give it to the FT shooting triplet? To the fouled triplet? To both (false multiple foul) for their complicity in the unsporting act? Or do you assess a single team technical (10-2-4)?

I don't have the books handy, but isn't the T for "attempting a FT to which the player is not entitled" or some words like that? Give the T to whoever goes to the FT line.

Altor Tue Jan 08, 2019 09:08am

I suppose it's like the "play" where one player lifts another. 10-4-6 also forbids both climbing upon and lifting a teammate. Theoretically, you could charge them both. I think the last time the climbing/lifting came up, the general consensus on this forum was to pick one (likely the climber).

My gut is what Bob said. The list in 10-4-6 is not all encompassing ("includes, but not limited to"). Both players are complicit in this deceit. But, 10-4-6-f expressly mentions "knowingly attempting a free throw". So, I'm likely charging that player and moving on. They will get the message.

SC Official Tue Jan 08, 2019 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1028428)

While you could theoretically support any of these options under the umbrella of "unsporting," the best option is to give one T to the player who goes to the line undeservingly. The rule explicitly supports a player T for "knowingly attempting a free throw...to which the player was not entitled." Nothing that the coach can argue there.

You don't need two T's here to send a message that you're not falling for this crap.

BillyMac Tue Jan 08, 2019 09:40am

The Edmund Hillary Play ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1028433)
I suppose it's like the "play" where one player lifts another. 10-4-6 also forbids both climbing upon and lifting a teammate. Theoretically, you could charge them both. I think the last time the climbing/lifting came up, the general consensus on this forum was to pick one (likely the climber).

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...up-player.html

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...html#post28082