The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

When to start 10 second count?

Player A is dribbling in his frontcourt....B knocks the ball out of his hand and it is slowly rolling into the backcourt. Player A just takes his time to walk over and pick up the ball.....When do you start the 10 second count?
Thanks
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I can almost guarantee someone is going to answer your question with a question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
Player A is dribbling in his frontcourt....B knocks the ball out of his hand and it is slowly rolling into the backcourt. Player A just takes his time to walk over and pick up the ball.....When do you start the 10 second count?
Thanks
When would you start it? What does 10 second rule say?

Last edited by BigCat; Sat Jan 05, 2019 at 09:23pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I can almost guarantee someone is going to answer your question with a question.
Good call.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

True. Why can't people just answer a simple rules question? Oops, that was a question too. Maybe the poster is coach, a fan or a rec league ref without access to a rule book.

Rule 9-8 says: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

So to answer to the OP, begin the 10 second count when the player gains control of the ball in the backcourt.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
True. Why can't people just answer a simple rules question? Oops, that was a question too. Maybe the poster is coach, a fan or a rec league ref without access to a rule book.

Rule 9-8 says: A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

So to answer to the OP, begin the 10 second count when the player gains control of the ball in the backcourt.
Simple rules question, huh?
Your answer is incorrect.
LMAO
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Incorrect?
Are you saying count would start when ball went into backcourt?
Ball was in the frontcourt and was knocked into backcourt by defender, why would you start 10 second count before ball was picked up in the backcourt?

Last edited by DrPete; Sat Jan 05, 2019 at 10:45pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Incorrect?
Are you saying count would start when ball went into backcourt?
Ball was in the frontcourt and was knocked into backcourt by defender, why would you start 10 second count before ball was picked up in the backcourt?
Who has team control? That answers your question.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That’s malpractice doc🙃. The count starts the moment the ball touches the BC.
Ps. I only answered the OP with a question because cross country “almost guaranteed” it. I wanted him to be right.😀
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Well at my age any day you learn something new is a good day. Thanks guys.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete View Post
well at my age any day you learn something new is a good day. Thanks guys.
👍
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Then qualify that, this is an official's forum, not a coach's or fan's forum.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

Publisher's Note: The National Federation of State High School Associations is the only source of official high school interpretations. They do not set aside nor modify any rule. They are made and published by the NFHS in response to situations presented.
Robert F. Kanaby, Publisher, NFHS Publications 2008

SITUATION 8: A1 is dribbling in his/her frontcourt when B1 deflects the ball into A's backcourt. The ball is bouncing toward the end line in A's backcourt while A1 and B1 give chase. B1 and A1 each contact the ball, but neither gains control. Finally, after numerous attempts by each player, A1 gains possession deep in A's backcourt. When does the 10-second count begin anew for Team A? RULING: The count starts as soon as the ball goes into the backcourt since team control has not ended. (4-12-3; 9-8)
Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Then qualify that, this is an official's forum, not a coach's or fan's forum.

What the gentleman from Illinois meant to say was....fans, coaches and general lurkers are welcome here (except when posing as fanboys in March)! We just ask that you ID yourself as such so that we can be a little patient. Among officials...well, we have a little tendency to eat our young.

Old Sat Jan 05, 2019, 11:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What the gentleman from Illinois meant to say was....fans, coaches and general lurkers are welcome here (except when posing as fanboys in March)! We just ask that you ID yourself as such so that we can be a little patient. Among officials...well, we have a little tendency to eat our young.
That is actually not what I meant to say. I teach classes and when someone asks a question like this, I ask questions to help them get to the real answer. Usually, they learn better than me just saying, "The count starts....." because they do not understand the logic in the long run. I ask questions so that they can work through the logic of the rules and understand the rule itself. And the people in my classes are often rather new with some experience or never have officiated a day in their life. Many come from the coaching and player ranks and often think a rule is one way or what it was when they were playing. I am very clear about my position. When people are not officials on this site, they could make that known like many have over the years. It is clear this is an official's forum, not a fanboy site where people there assume all kinds of things with rules. I do not think there is anything wrong with asking questions to help people draw the conclusion.

Peace