The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Incorrect administration of free throw (inadvertent horn)

A free thrower has the ball at his disposal. 1st of 2 shots. The score keeper inadvertently sounds the horn. A couple of seconds pass with no confusion on the players behalf. The shooter stayed focused on his shot and makes it. No whistle by any of the officials. The crew checks with the table. The crew looks absolutely confused. The administering official waves off the made free throw. In the end, the player made both (3 total) so no harm really. I am 99.999 percent sure it should have counted. Is there something I am missing where it is correct to not count this point?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
A free thrower has the ball at his disposal. 1st of 2 shots. The score keeper inadvertently sounds the horn. A couple of seconds pass with no confusion on the players behalf. The shooter stayed focused on his shot and makes it. No whistle by any of the officials. The crew checks with the table. The crew looks absolutely confused. The administering official waves off the made free throw. In the end, the player made both (3 total) so no harm really. I am 99.999 percent sure it should have counted. Is there something I am missing where it is correct to not count this point?
I don't know if I am correct, but I would have counted the first free throw. Given the description, there was a couple seconds worth of time in which the players would have had time to react and given that they did not react, there was no interference by the sounding of the horn, thus play on.

Where this could be tricky is if it was a 2nd shot and a player did not go for a rebound after hearing the horn.

Personally, as soon as that horn sounds, I am stopping the shooter and blowing my whistle so we can address the horn, then we shoot the shots required.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 06:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Count It ...

Quote:
I am 99.999 percent sure it should have counted. Is there something I am missing where it is correct to not count this point?
Was the ball live? Did the live ball go through the basket? Was there a violation by either team?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Was the ball live? Did the live ball go through the basket? Was there a violation by either team?
Yes. Yes. No.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 08:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Prize From The Top Shelf ... ...

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Yes. No.
Correct. Correct. Correct. Then count the basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct. Correct. Correct. Then count the basket.

… and if he misses?

Treat it like a delayed violation and give him another?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 09:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Play The Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
… and if he misses? Treat it like a delayed violation and give him another?
I'm not going to treat it like a delayed violation, no horizontal fist, no player violated, no distraction from the bench.

However, if I believe that the shooter was distracted by the horn and he misses, I would consider giving him another shot.

But in the original post, I'm not led to believe that the shooter was distracted.

Quote:
... couple of seconds pass with no confusion on the players behalf. The shooter stayed focused on his shot ...
And if he looks distracted pre-shot, I'm following chapmaja's sage advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
... as soon as that horn sounds, I am stopping the shooter and blowing my whistle so we can address the horn, then we shoot the shots required.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 22, 2018 at 09:26pm.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not going to treat it like a delayed violation, no horizontal fist, no player violated, no distraction from the bench.

However, if I believe that the shooter was distracted by the horn and he misses, I would consider giving him another shot.

But in the original post, I'm not led to believe that the shooter was distracted.

And if he looks distracted pre-shot, I'm following chapmaja's sage advice.
Billy,
You cannot allow the FT to attempt and if he misses give him another try because of the horn. That would be unfair to the opposing team, which didn’t do anything wrong.
Either allow play to continue and the result of the attempt stands or whistle it dead immediately and deal with the horn, then come back and readminister the FT.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 11:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Billy,
You cannot allow the FT to attempt and if he misses give him another try because of the horn. That would be unfair to the opposing team, which didn’t do anything wrong.
Either allow play to continue and the result of the attempt stands or whistle it dead immediately and deal with the horn, then come back and readminister the FT.
This.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

To Not Do So Would Be Unfair To The Shooter, Who Didn't Do Anything Wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Billy, You cannot allow the FT to attempt and if he misses give him another try because of the horn. That would be unfair to the opposing team, which didn't do anything wrong. Either allow play to continue and the result of the attempt stands or whistle it dead immediately and deal with the horn, then come back and readminister the FT.
In the original post the horn sounded, seconds passed, and then, undistracted, the shooter shot the free throw.

No reattempt here if he misses.

However, if the horn sounds simultaneously while the shooter is in the act of shooting, and the ball is released before I can whistle it dead, I will consider giving him a another try.

To not do so would be unfair to the rattled shooter, who didn't do anything wrong.

I can penalize a defensive player on the lane making a loud sound while the shooter is in the act of shooting by calling a delayed violation.

I can't penalize the table crew for sounding the horn at the same instant that the shooter is in the act of shooting, releasing it before I can whistle it dead, but I can as sure as hell give him another try if he misses.

One thing I want to stay away from is sounding my whistle after the release, but before the make/miss.

Either way, one coach is going to be pissed off.

"He missed it, how can you give him another one?"

"He made it, how can you not count it?"

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 23, 2018 at 12:43am.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In the original post the horn sounded, seconds passed, and then, undistracted, the shooter shot the free throw.

No reattempt here if he misses.

However, if the horn sounds simultaneously while the shooter is in the act of shooting, and the ball is released before I can whistle it dead, I will consider giving him a another try.

To not do so would be unfair to the shooter, who didn't do anything wrong. I can penalize a defensive player on the lane making a loud sound while the shooter is in the act of shooting by calling a delayed violation.

I can't penalize the table crew for sounding the horn at the same instant that the shooter is in the act of shooting, releasing it before I can whistle it dead, but I can as sure as hell give him another try if he misses.

If the horn sounds, I'm getting the ball back from the shooter and readministering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Split Second ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the horn sounds, I'm getting the ball back from the shooter and readministering.
Agree. I would also get the ball back from the shooter, if I could.

I'm saying that the ball is released a split second after the horn sounds, too late to get it back from the rattled shooter because it's on it's way to the hoop.

Unless the ball has an rubber band attached to it (à la Harlem Globetrotters), no chance that we're getting it back from the rattled shooter.

This is a much different situation from the original post where a few seconds passed.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 23, 2018 at 12:47pm.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I like to do like Joe Crawford and run to block his attempt before he can release it. 😉
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Either way, one coach is going to be pissed off.

"He missed it, how can you give him another one?"

"He made it, how can you not count it?"
It's the home school's fault. Make that coach mad.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 12:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Courtney Kirkland ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I like to do like Joe Crawford and run to block his attempt before he can release it.
If it works, go for it.

https://youtu.be/204gY7HLqXc