The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 82
Fixing the net after a made FG

Had this happen last night in my VG girls game. Team A shoots and scores and the net becomes tangled in the rim. I'm the lead in a two person game about to become the new trail. My partner gets my attention that the net is tangled. I take the ball from Player B and fix the net. Coach B complains that he wants to run uptempo and this slowed his team down. When is the appropriate time in this situation to fix the net and do we have to fix it right then. Had it happen to Team A also and we did the same thing. Felt like if the ball stayed live that it would be a disadvantage to Team A to leave it like that.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,037
The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,674
Guardians Of The IAABO Universe ...

IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 12:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,635
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This is how I handle it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.
Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,698
I'd do what you did...fix it right away. The rules state that a legal basket has a net hanging below it.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:01pm
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.
Last year we observed the same thing in a post-season state tourney game, the net getting caught up repeatedly during warmups. We brought it to the attention of game management and she had a person posted on each end with a broom to correct the situation during the transition to the other end. Can't recall how many times they functioned, but it wasn't anything we had to worry about at any time during the contest.
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call
www.myvirtualofficialsassociation.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,698
Just saw this happen today in the Utah vs Kentucky game.

I don't know which one blew the whistle but Doug Shows, Randy McCall, & Chuck Jones stopped the game and fixed it immediately.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.
As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.

As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it. If it is too tangled for that, then stop play at next dead ball. Some kid will fix it before you can get anyone else to do it.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 09:06am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it.
I haven't been able to jump that high for 25 years or so.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,773
The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,674
Jumping Jacks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.
I haven't been able to jump to grab a net (or a ball stuck between the ring and the backboard, or a ball up in the supports) in years. In most boys games, a player will offer assistance. In a middle school girls game I'm asking the site director, or the coach, to get someone to get the net unstuck, or the ball down.

Over almost four decades, I've seen nets become so tangled that no amount of jumping and grabbing (the grabbing often makes the tangle much worse) can get them untangled. It sometimes takes someone on a stepladder to get the job done, not often, but it happens, more than once, but not much more.

I just paid someone $150.00 (two story colonial, with garage, porch, and shed) to clean leaves out of my gutters. First time I paid someone to do this (I'm a cheap bastard). I promised my kids that I wouldn't do ladders anymore.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025463
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 16, 2018 at 12:00pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace
I do the same....stop it and fix it a couple of times but it is a perpetual problem, we're not stopping it every trip down the court.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixing plate shoes? New Balance 460s - Blown out toe/instep guard teebob21 Softball 3 Thu Apr 13, 2017 01:50pm
Fixing MLB MD Longhorn Baseball 108 Mon Nov 15, 2010 06:13pm
I made it!! tjones1 Basketball 12 Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31am
Fixing Screw-ups nickdangerME Softball 3 Mon May 05, 2003 10:56am
Fixing Direction Arrow problem Ref Basketball 9 Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:55pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1