The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

In my first season doing Fed softball, I've been assigned mostly JV/Frosh or even Middle School games. Typically I'm on the bases with an older hand on the plate. I've yet to boot anything badly, but had a situation yesterday with very green JV kids/coaches that leads me to ask a question about how others would have handled a screw-up.

Fifth inning lasted forever, with a least a couple batters reaching on dropped third strikes and batting order confusion by the offensive coaches. Offensive coach was telling runners, "Two outs, run on anything!" and defensive players were telling each other, "Two outs, take the nearest force." I remembered one out I had called at first, but frankly could not remember the second out. Batter strikes out and teams switch. When conferring with plate about the score, coaches were confused whether there really had been three outs. Offensive coach was not upset (his team was getting creamed and ultimately lost big). He had thought that there was another out for BOO. Defensive coach had mismarked her scorebook on one of the strike-outs/dropped third stike and was lost from that point on.

I joined the conference, as both coaches were scratching their heads and plate was not being particularly forceful about sorting it out. Given the apparent desire of the coaches not to switch back, I cut to the chase by asking if both coaches were agreed on the score (which they promptly sorted out based on the defensive coache's book), the inning and the next batter, and we moved on.

My question. How would you have handled it differently? (I know, I should have called time and conferred with my partner when I first realized I couldn't remember the other out - next time I'll not be so shy.)

Nick

Old Thu May 01, 2003, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Keeping track

Can't believe there were two umpires on the field and neither one knew how many outs there were! Our association uses hand signals that keep both umpires in constant communication with each other. After each out, the number of outs is signalled and echoed. Infield fly situations are indicated, as are rotation possibilities, fly call issues, etc. And, if innings go long, outs are indicated every so often just to make sure both are on the same page. If you don't know how many outs there are, how can you be prepared for infield fly situations, timing plays, etc.?

Normally, especially because I am still a rookie myself, I tend to be very supportive of new umpires. However, something as basic as not knowing the number of outs should be addressed immediately! If, for some reason, you are ever unsure, check with your partner.
Old Thu May 01, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

lack of communication
it happens-- but should not =----
local associations should set up
uniform mechanics on communicating
number of outs etc. !!
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK folks, he said he knew what he should do ("I should have called time and conferred with my partner ").
The question is "How would you have handled it differently?", once you got into the problem. They went forward because the coaches let it go. Naturally, the defense coach protecting the lead would agree. The technically correct procedure would have been to get the fielders back out and continue as if they had known the correct outs all along. Because the batter struck out, there were no other issues, but there could have been. The teams are expected to know the outs and while we are supposed to know, we don't get the blame if one or both teams get it wrong unless we tell them.