The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fixing the net after a made FG (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104201-fixing-net-after-made-fg.html)

rbruno Sat Dec 15, 2018 08:01am

Fixing the net after a made FG
 
Had this happen last night in my VG girls game. Team A shoots and scores and the net becomes tangled in the rim. I'm the lead in a two person game about to become the new trail. My partner gets my attention that the net is tangled. I take the ball from Player B and fix the net. Coach B complains that he wants to run uptempo and this slowed his team down. When is the appropriate time in this situation to fix the net and do we have to fix it right then. Had it happen to Team A also and we did the same thing. Felt like if the ball stayed live that it would be a disadvantage to Team A to leave it like that.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 15, 2018 08:57am

The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.

BillyMac Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25am

Guardians Of The IAABO Universe ...
 
IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

grunewar Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:33pm

This is how I handle it too
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1027223)
The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.

Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.

Camron Rust Sat Dec 15, 2018 05:18pm

I'd do what you did...fix it right away. The rules state that a legal basket has a net hanging below it.

Freddy Sat Dec 15, 2018 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 1027234)
Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.

Last year we observed the same thing in a post-season state tourney game, the net getting caught up repeatedly during warmups. We brought it to the attention of game management and she had a person posted on each end with a broom to correct the situation during the transition to the other end. Can't recall how many times they functioned, but it wasn't anything we had to worry about at any time during the contest.

Camron Rust Sat Dec 15, 2018 09:00pm

Just saw this happen today in the Utah vs Kentucky game.

I don't know which one blew the whistle but Doug Shows, Randy McCall, & Chuck Jones stopped the game and fixed it immediately.

bucky Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027228)
IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.

As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it. If it is too tangled for that, then stop play at next dead ball. Some kid will fix it before you can get anyone else to do it.

LRZ Sun Dec 16, 2018 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1027247)
As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it.

I haven't been able to jump that high for 25 years or so.

JRutledge Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37am

The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20am

Jumping Jacks ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1027247)
As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.

I haven't been able to jump to grab a net (or a ball stuck between the ring and the backboard, or a ball up in the supports) in years. In most boys games, a player will offer assistance. In a middle school girls game I'm asking the site director, or the coach, to get someone to get the net unstuck, or the ball down.

Over almost four decades, I've seen nets become so tangled that no amount of jumping and grabbing (the grabbing often makes the tangle much worse) can get them untangled. It sometimes takes someone on a stepladder to get the job done, not often, but it happens, more than once, but not much more.

I just paid someone $150.00 (two story colonial, with garage, porch, and shed) to clean leaves out of my gutters. First time I paid someone to do this (I'm a cheap bastard). I promised my kids that I wouldn't do ladders anymore.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025463

Camron Rust Sun Dec 16, 2018 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1027253)
The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace

I do the same....stop it and fix it a couple of times but it is a perpetual problem, we're not stopping it every trip down the court.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1