The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Fixing the net after a made FG

Had this happen last night in my VG girls game. Team A shoots and scores and the net becomes tangled in the rim. I'm the lead in a two person game about to become the new trail. My partner gets my attention that the net is tangled. I take the ball from Player B and fix the net. Coach B complains that he wants to run uptempo and this slowed his team down. When is the appropriate time in this situation to fix the net and do we have to fix it right then. Had it happen to Team A also and we did the same thing. Felt like if the ball stayed live that it would be a disadvantage to Team A to leave it like that.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The IAABO Universe ...

IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 12:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This is how I handle it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The next time the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.
Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd do what you did...fix it right away. The rules state that a legal basket has a net hanging below it.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 08:01pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Interestingly enough, this week I had a school that appeared to have unusually long nets. During warm-ups, the net got wrapped around the rim several times at both ends. Talked to the R and we agreed to this COA.

Didn't happen once during the game.
Last year we observed the same thing in a post-season state tourney game, the net getting caught up repeatedly during warmups. We brought it to the attention of game management and she had a person posted on each end with a broom to correct the situation during the transition to the other end. Can't recall how many times they functioned, but it wasn't anything we had to worry about at any time during the contest.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw this happen today in the Utah vs Kentucky game.

I don't know which one blew the whistle but Doug Shows, Randy McCall, & Chuck Jones stopped the game and fixed it immediately.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO International actually added some guidance to it's mechanics manual recently:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.
As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.

As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it. If it is too tangled for that, then stop play at next dead ball. Some kid will fix it before you can get anyone else to do it.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
As the offensive team heads up the court just jump and dislodge it.
I haven't been able to jump that high for 25 years or so.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Jumping Jacks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
As has been discussed, this is silly b/c no one is having game management correct the net.
I haven't been able to jump to grab a net (or a ball stuck between the ring and the backboard, or a ball up in the supports) in years. In most boys games, a player will offer assistance. In a middle school girls game I'm asking the site director, or the coach, to get someone to get the net unstuck, or the ball down.

Over almost four decades, I've seen nets become so tangled that no amount of jumping and grabbing (the grabbing often makes the tangle much worse) can get them untangled. It sometimes takes someone on a stepladder to get the job done, not often, but it happens, more than once, but not much more.

I just paid someone $150.00 (two story colonial, with garage, porch, and shed) to clean leaves out of my gutters. First time I paid someone to do this (I'm a cheap bastard). I promised my kids that I wouldn't do ladders anymore.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025463
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 16, 2018 at 12:00pm.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NF at least stated this some time ago in one of their guides, to fix it if you can, but you do not need to stop the game every time if this is a constant problem. That is basically is my position. I might fix it once or twice if it is noticed, but not doing it every time. Get a better net and this will not be a problem.

Peace
I do the same....stop it and fix it a couple of times but it is a perpetual problem, we're not stopping it every trip down the court.