The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Bargain ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I pay $65 to the state and $75 to our association. We do not have an assigners fee. $60 per varsity game, $50 per sub varsity game, $0.50 per mile round trip paid to one driver, We do not have a banquet.
My round trip mileage last year was 739 miles, or a cost to me (based on your half ride reimbursement) of about $180. Of course I can deduct my mileage, from my taxes, you can't, so let's call it $150.00.

Let's subtract the $30 banquet portion of my dues.

That brings my total financial obligation to $370.00.

For comparison purposes, take away my $35 IAABO dues, so $335 total, or about five subvarsity fees, or about 3.5 varsity fees.

Your total financial obligation of $140.00 or about three subvarsity fees, or about 2.5 varsity fees.

Not as much of a bargain as LRZ, but still a tip of the hat to your treasurer and finance committee.

Ain't math fun?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 02:23pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:50pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My round trip mileage last year was 739 miles, or a cost to me (based on your half ride reimbursement) of about $180. Of course I can deduct my mileage, from my taxes, you can't, so let's call it $150.00.

Let's subtract the $30 banquet portion of my dues.

That brings my total financial obligation to $370.00.

For comparison purposes, take away my $35 IAABO dues, so $335 total, or about five subvarsity fees, or about 3.5 varsity fees.

Your total financial obligation of $140.00 or about three subvarsity fees, or about 2.5 varsity fees.

Not as much of a bargain as LRZ, but still a tip of the hat to your treasurer and finance committee.

Ain't math fun?
My round trip mileage was 6521 for 2017.

Why can't I deduct my mileage? Honest question I don't know I have my tax guy handle everything.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dewey, Cheatem & Howe ...

Quote:
Why can't I deduct my mileage? Honest question I don't know I have my tax guy handle everything.
My error, you can probably deduct some of your mileage.

I'm not an accountant, nor do I play one television, but since you're financially reimbursed for half of your mileage, you can probably only deduct half of your mileage, the rest really isn't a business "expense".

My accounting firm, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe does an excellent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
At the very worst, membership dues and mileage to meetings are a tax deduction on one's Schedule C (and I hope that every one is obeying the law and filing Schedule C's every year).
Right now I'm actually being audited for my 2015 taxes. Good thing that I declared every single penny of my officiating income, especially with about one third of my income coming through Arbiter Pay.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 03:07pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:12pm

Why do you say i'm only reimbursed for half of my mileage? I am paid 50 cents per mile for all miles I drive. I claim all this money as income bc we are paid one check by the schools.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain ...

Quote:
Why do you say I'm only reimbursed for half of my mileage? I am paid 50 cents per mile for all miles I drive. I claim all this money as income bc we are paid one check by the schools.
Because you said "$0.50 per mile round trip paid to one driver".

Figured only you, or your partner, got reimbursed, not both.

If your claiming the mileage reimbursement as income, then you may be able to deduct all of your mileage as a business expense. Some would not claim it as earned income, and then not take a mileage business expense deduction.

Don't listen to me, I'm sure your tax guy does an excellent job.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:28pm

Quote:

If your claiming the mileage reimbursement as income, then you may be able to deduct all of your mileage as a business expense. Some would not claim it as earned income, and then not take a mileage business expense deduction.

Gotcha, only one of us is paid for driving most nights bc the farther driver will pick up the closer ones. If that isn't possible usually the school will pay two drivers if they don't the someone eats their miles or gets a kickback from the other driver. I am only claim for the miles that I'm paid for.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Call Top Bunk ...

Quote:
I am only claim for the miles that I'm paid for.
You should be able to fully deduct the miles (as I do) that you're not paid for. Either that, or both you and your tax guy can share a prison cell.

I'm actually going to prison in early January, I joined my church's Prison Ministry. I've discussed it with a few of my referee colleagues who work as corrections officers (don't call them guards, they hate that). Their advice, be fully aware of your surroundings, and don't allow any of the inmates to walk behind you.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whether one or both drivers are paid is not relevant. If he drives, he can and should deduct the mileage he actually drove. Likewise, whether you drive or not, all money received is income (even if it is designated as reimbursement for travel) and should be included in that income. The deduction for miles driven will take care of the balance.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Whether one or both drivers are paid is not relevant. If he drives, he can and should deduct the mileage he actually drove. Likewise, whether you drive or not, all money received is income (even if it is designated as reimbursement for travel) and should be included in that income. The deduction for miles driven will take care of the balance.
This. The fact that somebody is paid specifically for the mileage is immaterial to whether it is deductible. There may be other reasons why it is not deductible, but this is not one of them.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throwing Me A Life Preserver ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The fact that somebody is paid specifically for the mileage is immaterial to whether it is deductible. There may be other reasons why it is not deductible, but this is not one of them.
Quote:
You guys sound like you know what your talking about. I got in way over my head and was drowning. Thanks for helping out by throwing me a life preserver.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You guys sound like you know what your talking about. I got in way over my head and was drowning. Thanks for helping out by throwing me a life preserver.
Next time you're in a hole, stop digging.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Now that I'm retired from my day job, I go from home to a game, and back home. I'm told that I can now deduct every single round trip mile as a business expense.

For those who may go to a game from their day job, is it true that one may not be able to deduct all their game mileage?

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mixed Metaphors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Next time you're in a hole, stop digging.
I didn't realize that the hole (or the water) was that deep until it was too late.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Let me premise: I am not a tax accountant/lawyer/etc. I prepare my own taxes and everything I do in that regard is based on publications coming directly from the IRS.

Quote:
Now that I'm retired from my day job, I go from home to a game, and back home. I'm told that I can now deduct every single round trip mile as a business expense.
Careful here. Publication 463 says travel from home to any work location is NEVER deductible, though it also references that you may have an "Office in the home" (rules of which are layed out in publication 587) which could make this mileage deductible.

Quote:
For those who may go to a game from their day job, is it true that one may not be able to deduct all their game mileage?
This mileage between job sites should be deductible (Publication 463), but the travel back home after the game is not.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...blink100033930
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Commuting ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Publication 463 says travel from home to any work location is NEVER deductible,
My accountant claims that while normal commuting miles traveling back and forth to the same workplace every day are never deductible (the guy who works in a factory), miles traveled to a variety of workplaces by self employed individuals (like basketball officials) are always fully deductible.

If he's wrong, then we're both going to prison.