The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:27pm
In Time Out

Charter member of the rodent club

How do you guys handle a true "rat's rat", ie: someone who always has an "under his breath" comment every time he walks by, ie" something like "you're struggling today", or "I don't have to say anything to you, because the crowd's getting on you now", or other non-profane, immature, no-class, rodent-like comments (heard by no one else, with no overt overtures, no arm waving, etc)
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Don't escalate the volume of the conversation. On the other hand, when you've had enough, say so without shouting. "Coach, I've heard enough about my strike zone today."

One very effective technique I've seen applied without using it yet myself goes something like this:

Coach comes out to 1B Ump to argue safe/out call. On his way back, he says, in a normal voice, to 3B Ump something like: "Your partner sucks today and you ain't any better."

3B Ump:"You really think so?"

Coach (stops): "Yep."

3B Ump (normal voice, no gesture yet): "You, Sir, are ejected."

Coach now screams and throws fit. 3B Ump NOW makes the heave-ho gesture.

I thought it was clever, if not a little deceptive.

Strikes and outs!
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hock9
How do you guys handle a true "rat's rat", ie: someone who always has an "under his breath" comment every time he walks by, ie" something like "you're struggling today", or "I don't have to say anything to you, because the crowd's getting on you now", or other non-profane, immature, no-class, rodent-like comments (heard by no one else, with no overt overtures, no arm waving, etc)
"Hey Coach, come here. Coach, anymore from you today and you are gone."
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitUmp
"Hey Coach, come here. Coach, anymore from you today and you are gone."
stick to your word though, and toss him after any more.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

*said with pi$$ed off look in your eye*

"Coach, i don't want to hear it. That's enough."

*with brief 4 second stare down afterwards*
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
*said with pi$$ed off look in your eye*

"Coach, i don't want to hear it. That's enough."

*with brief 4 second stare down afterwards*
Or 75 second stare if you're Jim Wolf.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rule number 1 - Don't make threats.
Rule number 2 - see rule number 1.

"Any more from you coach and you're gone" is completely inappropriate.

"That's enough, coach," "That's the last I'll hear about the strike zone today," etc, are appropriate. But don't put yourself in a situation where you've given a coach an ultimatum or threat.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

"That's enough, coach," "That's the last I'll hear about the strike zone today," etc, are appropriate. But don't put yourself in a situation where you've given a coach an ultimatum or threat.
Huh? What's the difference between:

"Any more from you coach and you're gone"

and

"That's the last I'll hear about the strike zone today,"

In both statements you're saying essentially the same thing - I've had enough. If you persist, you'll be ejected.

It's not making a threat; it's giving a warning. The key to being effective is (1) be clear in the warning, and (2) do what you say - if the coach doesn't heed the warning, dump him.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with Crowder (wise advice, I can tell you've been doing this a while). If you make a threat, then that makes things worse and, in my mind, is unprofessional. That's fine if you make threats and I wouldn't be as dogmatic as crowder and say never make them, but if you want to stick to class, then don't make them. That way you won't get labeled as the bad a$$ umpire that everybody dreads when he walks out on the field.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmathews19
I agree with Crowder (wise advice, I can tell you've been doing this a while). If you make a threat, then that makes things worse and, in my mind, is unprofessional. That's fine if you make threats and I wouldn't be as dogmatic as crowder and say never make them, but if you want to stick to class, then don't make them. That way you won't get labeled as the bad a$$ umpire that everybody dreads when he walks out on the field.
It depends on the threat (warning).

Stupid warning: One more word out of you and you're gone.

Smart warning: Anymore arguing of balls and strikes will be your last today.

The first sets the umpire up to either not eject or eject over something silly.

The second sets a solid foundation for an appropriate ejection.

Nothing wrong with threats (warnings) if used properly.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I guess it depends on what level of ball you are working. The comments you mentioned in the original post wouldn't get more than a smirk from me. We call it gamesmanship and he may be doing it to see how far he can push, to get a rise out of you and get dumped or to rally his team. If I tossed a guy for those comments, it would be me that would be looking for other assignments. My assignor would be stupified and I would be embarassed.

Most of us have a breaking point and developing it is the sign of a talented umpire. As you become old and grey, you've heard most every jab and learn to let most of them go. Few words get my coaches ejected; their actions are a different story. Players are a much different matter - I take very little grief from the soldiers on the battle field. Your limits should never be set in stone though. They will evolve over the years.

I used to say that if I ever heard the F-bomb on the field I would toss a kid. Then I saw a third baseman get stung by a yellow jacket. I didn't eject the kid who used the ol' M-F when a pitch ran in and broke two of his fingers. He was already out of the game so I saw no need to compound it with a multi-game suspension when he returned. Discretion is the name of the game out there boys. Knowing when to pull the gun out of the holster is what makes you sheriff, not having the badge.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Knowing when to pull the gun out of the holster is what makes you sheriff, not having the badge.
Damn, I could'a used that advice 6 years ago when I knocked up my wife for the first time. I'll save that for my son when he gets older.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

With the grey hair comes wisdom...also bad knees, reading glasses, a prostate from hell, weak ankles, namby pamby taste buds and a need for a cold one more often than not.

I do have to admit, that is one of my better quotes. Let me know if Carl steals it, I don't pay to read the fluffy stuff and I know how he likes to 'borrow' my thoughts.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Huh? What's the difference between:

"Any more from you coach and you're gone" and "That's the last I'll hear about the strike zone today,"
That's easy - one is a threat, the other is not. One is confrontational, the other is not. One is aggressive, the other is not.

Quote:
In both statements you're saying essentially the same thing - I've had enough. If you persist, you'll be ejected.
Bingo - you've made my point for me. Both of these say the same thing. And with either you get your point across. But in the first, you're being confrontational and aggressive. In the second, you're not being either. And the second is a much better game management technique.

Quote:
It's not making a threat; it's giving a warning. The key to being effective is (1) be clear in the warning, and (2) do what you say - if the coach doesn't heed the warning, dump him.
Agreed, sort of. The first is not a warning, it's a threat. If you believe otherwise, you're deluding yourself. The second is a warning. The first is puffy-chested overly emasculated "Do What I Say". The second is "Coach, you're about to cross the line." Big difference in perception, and big difference in the way it's taken.

I agree with your 2nd sentence here, and would add that the only thing worse than an aggressive, confrontational threat is one that is not followed up on. I can't tell you how often I've heard a younger umpire do this: "Coach, that's enough." Chirp Chirp. "Seriously coach, no more." Chirp Chirp. "Coach, one more word and you're gone." Chirp Chirp. "I'm serious coach - no more." Ad infinitum.

Warn once. Then when he ejects himself, you help him on his way.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Warn once. Then when he ejects himself, you help him on his way.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. A long time ago I learned that the warning usually doesn't do much - in fact, it typically exacerbates the situation. While we like to think it puts people on guard, more often than not it indicates to an experienced skipper where you set your limits. I prefer to keep 'em guessing.

Look at the big dogs in MLB, they don't warn - they dump when required. At some point, you stop being a teacher/counselor and remember that you are the sheriff.

Warnings are great for kids who don't shave and coaches who may but act like they don't. Above traveling leagues, I don't use the warning unless it is mandated by the book. (Removing a hemet, etc.)