The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 05:53pm
9 times

Who here are members of Officiating.com? What are the benefits as you see them? I know that Brad could list them all as he sees them, but I wonder what the average Joe thinks of membership to the site. Also, which services that they offer do you regularly use?

I am contemplating joining, but cannot decide if the benefits are there for me.

Thanks.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Apr 01, 2002, 09:33pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

For more information on memberships, please click here. Please note that we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, plenty of time to decide whether or not Officiating.com is right for you. Also, be sure to check out our insurance coverage.

I'd be interested in everyone's comments as well. We strive to deliver the best services and products related to officiating and are always looking for ways to improve. If you do not want to post directly on this thread, you can always contact me at [email protected]
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

I'd be interested in everyone's comments as well. We strive to deliver the best services and products related to officiating and are always looking for ways to improve. If you do not want to post directly on this thread, you can always contact me at [email protected]
Are you asking about other than the sometimes wit of Padgett (sick wit), the sometimes sharp pen of BktBallRef, the sometimes officious of DeNucci?

You learn from them and others different views on the calling of the game. Different was of looking at a situation. I feel by participating I gained much more than lurking.

Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:23am
9 times

Do I assume from the lack of replys that no one is a member or that those who are members find no benefits to their membership here?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Do I assume from the lack of replys that no one is a member or that those who are members find no benefits to their membership here?
I kind of wondered the same thing, stripes. I'm not a member. But I think crew (tony) must be b/c he posted an interview from the website onto this discussion board. So he must be a member to have access to the interview. Maybe you could email him.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Question

all right.....excuse my ignorance but is there a difference between our signing up to post on this board (that does not make us members?) and what Stripes is asking. (Yes you may laugh at me if this is a dumb question, just so long as I cannot hear you).
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 11:43am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yes, there is a difference between registering to post and becoming a member of Officiating.com

Officiating.com is a service for sports officials which publishes news, information, and educational articles online. Members can access the content online at Officiating.com

The Official Forum is this discussion board. There is no cost associated with reading or posting to the board -- it is a free service that we offer to the sports officiating community.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

And a very well appreciated service, thank you.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here a little. I was a member for one year, but felt that it wasn't worth the money to renew. There were a lot of interesting features, such as the interviews, and good summaries of various news items, such as rule changes and various incidents. The writer named Todd Somebody was thoughtful and easy to read, and always gave points worth thinking about. The shopping section might be helpful for some people, and for refs that do more than one sport, this might be a very good investment. Also I liked the T-shirt that I got when I joined!

The downsides were that it was a little expensive. I was somewhat disappointed in some of the articles, one writer in particular. I thought it would be worth it for the liability insurance which was included, but then I discovered that in the PBOA, we are members of NFOA, and thus have extended liability coverage for non-PBOA games. I would consider re-joining if there were a) more articles that cover specific rules and their various applications, b) more interviews (although when I was "in", the interviews were very good), c) more of the photo of a play and how to call it, and d) better English. I know this last may be asking too much, but I found the bad grammar and inadequate descriptions grating, especially for the price.

I would rather just pay to post on this board, than pay for a subscription that I don't get my money's worth out of.

Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Are you asking about other than the sometimes wit of Padgett (sick wit), the sometimes sharp pen of BktBallRef, the sometimes officious of DeNucci?
Sharp pen! I like that!

What can I say, I'm passionate!
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here a little. I was a member for one year, but felt that it wasn't worth the money to renew. There were a lot of interesting features, such as the interviews, and good summaries of various news items, such as rule changes and various incidents. The writer named Todd Somebody was thoughtful and easy to read, and always gave points worth thinking about. The shopping section might be helpful for some people, and for refs that do more than one sport, this might be a very good investment. Also I liked the T-shirt that I got when I joined!

The downsides were that it was a little expensive. I was somewhat disappointed in some of the articles, one writer in particular. I thought it would be worth it for the liability insurance which was included, but then I discovered that in the PBOA, we are members of NFOA, and thus have extended liability coverage for non-PBOA games. I would consider re-joining if there were a) more articles that cover specific rules and their various applications, b) more interviews (although when I was "in", the interviews were very good), c) more of the photo of a play and how to call it, and d) better English. I know this last may be asking too much, but I found the bad grammar and inadequate descriptions grating, especially for the price.

I would rather just pay to post on this board, than pay for a subscription that I don't get my money's worth out of.

Wow, I have never had someone I don't know from Eve express my exact feelings. I too, joined for one year and my subscription is coming due and I will most likely not renew. The articles were ok, too short and shallow after being spoiled by the deep thought on this board. That certain writer makes my gut churn and I e-mailed them about the grammar mistakes. Oh, and I didn't get a t'shirt.

[Edited by devdog69 on Apr 3rd, 2002 at 07:39 PM]
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
That certain writer makes my gut churn and I e-mailed them about the grammar mistakes.
You can e-mail me privately to see if we are talking about the same guy.

Quote:

Oh, and I didn't get a t'shirt.
Too bad. But then I'm not sure that I'm legally free to wear it, after all the flap a year ago about the "old" name...
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I think this is very personal.

Just like everything else in life, people have to decide why they join anything. I have never joined because I feel like I get the same benefits if not more by being a member of NASO. To join something and have nothing sent to your house is a stretch for me. I guess you can always copy things, but that is additional money out of my pocket to be able to read something that is posted in those articles. So I have always passed up to this point.

I just like NASO better because I get a magazine every month, and I get the opportunity to buy more things at a discount that is very insightful and useful well after I have read the information. I guess I just like things you can actually touch and feel and hold (insert joke ), and using the internet is not my way of accomplishing that.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I have paid out money for far less than what i am getting out of this discussion board alone. If you are going to weigh the +/-'s of this site then you must include the discussion board. Yes, it is free, but it still is a service they offer.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Who here are members of Officiating.com? What are the benefits as you see them? I know that Brad could list them all as he sees them, but I wonder what the average Joe thinks of membership to the site. Also, which services that they offer do you regularly use?

I am contemplating joining, but cannot decide if the benefits are there for me.

Thanks.
stripes i am a member of the site and enjoy the reading. i only read the basketball related content. though the quality(rules interp, play situations) is not superior to the discussion board there are other qualities that the discussion board can not offer. I.E. interviews with officials and conference supervisors. the site keeps me up to date on rule changes and current events that are happenning in the world of basketball. some of the content worth reading is the Q and A with don rutledge. it gives some very good insight on what the pro supervisors are looking for in candidates for the WNBA, which could lead to a hire in the NBDL, or NBA.
they guarantee a 30 day money back. no risk.
the only weird thing when i joined was they gave me an officiating.com tote bag for free, i only had to pay for shipping and handling($5.95) and when the package came it had only $1.30 worth of stamps on it. i always wondered where the other 4.65 went.