The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Defense Counting out loud

Team A has the ball OOB for a Throw in. B1 counting out loud, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

One of our officials said, it's an unsportsmanlike act and disallowed the out loud counting.... Thoughts?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

I would not allow a player to do this for the most part. Not sure I would say it is "unsporting." It just will lead to other issues I would rather avoid.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Take a look here:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...-counting.html
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Team A has the ball OOB for a Throw in. B1 counting out loud, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

One of our officials said, it's an unsportsmanlike act and disallowed the out loud counting.... Thoughts?
That falls under attempting to influence an official's call for me. I'll tell them to knock it off. I T'd up a coach for counting to 3 for 3-second calls one summer.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say the same thing. It's a bizarre tactic, to say the least. When I hear that, I think about calling the requested violation AGAINST the team doing the count out loud, just to make a point, but I don't actually do that in a game.
How do I tell a coach to knock it off, while using normal professional language? Saying "knock it off", "shut up", or similar expressions would be rude, so I need an alternative way to convey the same message politely, but firmly.
If a team counts when the other team has the ball, trying to cause a violation, I would warn, and then give a technical foul. If coach or a player keeps asking for a call, he'll get a call, just not the one that he expects .
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

"Knock it off" is what's coming out of my mouth.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I'd say the same thing. It's a bizarre tactic, to say the least. When I hear that, I think about calling the requested violation AGAINST the team doing the count out loud, just to make a point, but I don't actually do that in a game.
How do I tell a coach to knock it off, while using normal professional language? Saying "knock it off", "shut up", or similar expressions would be rude, so I need an alternative way to convey the same message politely, but firmly.
If a team counts when the other team has the ball, trying to cause a violation, I would warn, and then give a technical foul. If coach or a player keeps asking for a call, he'll get a call, just not the one that he expects .
Forgive me, but you really overthink stuff. When we say "knock it off" you are usually saying this to the player that is doing it. You are not ever engaging the coach on this or even making a big deal to anyone about it. It takes a second and usually it stops. And if you worried about being rude while stoping a potential issue, then we are in the wrong profession. Sometimes we have to make a point and heck we are going to tell players to knock it off for many more things than this situation than this. Even sometimes you have to raise your voice when talking to players if you need to get their attention.

BTW, never had to give more than this kind of warning to get this to stop. Don't think I would have to think this through any more than what I stated.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 03:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
"Knock it off" is what's coming out of my mouth.
Now that I think about it, for a high school game you could give a bench warning.

Rule: 4-48 ART. 1

A warning to a head coach/bench personnel for misconduct is an administrative procedure by an official, which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the head coach.

For conduct, such as that described in Rule 10-5, Articles 1 (a, b d, e, f), 2 and 4, the official shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul shall be assessed.

Rule 10-5 ART. 1

The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

b. Attempting to influence an official's decision.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Bench warning doesn’t apply since nobody on the bench is involved in the OP.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcopas View Post
He’s referring to his personal experience of dealing with a coach who counted three seconds, I believe.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

"When you do that, I lose track and have to start over."
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 08:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcopas View Post
Then "knock it off" will definitely suffice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 11:53pm
Administrator

A loud and emphatic: "Knock it off!" sends the message to both teams that they are not to do it and that it will not be tolerated.

If a HC questions you about it just tell him that the Rules specifically state that the Administering Game Official will give a visual and silent count and now one else will infringe upon the Game Official's duties.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

If the OP, I'm probably ignoring it unless I felt that it was intended to show-up the official (i.e. if they had complained about a previous count and then started doing it - I could go straight to a technical in that case).

There's no problem with the offense counting out loud (I've heard the bench communicate before to let a player know they are closely guarded - "he's counting, 3, 4..."). I'm allowing the defense to communicate a count if they want -- again as long as I don't think it's being done to show-up/influence the official.

I'm more concerned with the coach counting out 3 seconds trying to get a 3 second call. The new warning from last year works well in that case if necessary.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times © Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 2018 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Then "knock it off" will definitely suffice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
A loud and emphatic: "Knock it off!" sends the message to both teams that they are not to do it and that it will not be tolerated.
Or, we could go old school à la Jack Benny:

https://youtu.be/Ra_cWKc36qg
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)