The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defense Counting out loud (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104165-defense-counting-out-loud.html)

Terrapins Fan Fri Nov 30, 2018 09:26am

Defense Counting out loud

Team A has the ball OOB for a Throw in. B1 counting out loud, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

One of our officials said, it's an unsportsmanlike act and disallowed the out loud counting.... Thoughts?

JRutledge Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09am

I would not allow a player to do this for the most part. Not sure I would say it is "unsporting." It just will lead to other issues I would rather avoid.

Peace

LRZ Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:13am

Take a look here:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...-counting.html

Raymond Fri Nov 30, 2018 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 1026540)
Team A has the ball OOB for a Throw in. B1 counting out loud, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

One of our officials said, it's an unsportsmanlike act and disallowed the out loud counting.... Thoughts?

That falls under attempting to influence an official's call for me. I'll tell them to knock it off. I T'd up a coach for counting to 3 for 3-second calls one summer.

ilyazhito Fri Nov 30, 2018 02:20pm

I'd say the same thing. It's a bizarre tactic, to say the least. When I hear that, I think about calling the requested violation AGAINST the team doing the count out loud, just to make a point, but I don't actually do that in a game.
How do I tell a coach to knock it off, while using normal professional language? Saying "knock it off", "shut up", or similar expressions would be rude, so I need an alternative way to convey the same message politely, but firmly.
If a team counts when the other team has the ball, trying to cause a violation, I would warn, and then give a technical foul. If coach or a player keeps asking for a call, he'll get a call, just not the one that he expects ;).

Raymond Fri Nov 30, 2018 02:27pm

"Knock it off" is what's coming out of my mouth.

JRutledge Fri Nov 30, 2018 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1026553)
I'd say the same thing. It's a bizarre tactic, to say the least. When I hear that, I think about calling the requested violation AGAINST the team doing the count out loud, just to make a point, but I don't actually do that in a game.
How do I tell a coach to knock it off, while using normal professional language? Saying "knock it off", "shut up", or similar expressions would be rude, so I need an alternative way to convey the same message politely, but firmly.
If a team counts when the other team has the ball, trying to cause a violation, I would warn, and then give a technical foul. If coach or a player keeps asking for a call, he'll get a call, just not the one that he expects ;).

Forgive me, but you really overthink stuff. When we say "knock it off" you are usually saying this to the player that is doing it. You are not ever engaging the coach on this or even making a big deal to anyone about it. It takes a second and usually it stops. And if you worried about being rude while stoping a potential issue, then we are in the wrong profession. Sometimes we have to make a point and heck we are going to tell players to knock it off for many more things than this situation than this. Even sometimes you have to raise your voice when talking to players if you need to get their attention.

BTW, never had to give more than this kind of warning to get this to stop. Don't think I would have to think this through any more than what I stated.

Peace

Raymond Fri Nov 30, 2018 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1026554)
"Knock it off" is what's coming out of my mouth.

Now that I think about it, for a high school game you could give a bench warning.

Rule: 4-48 ART. 1

A warning to a head coach/bench personnel for misconduct is an administrative procedure by an official, which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the head coach.

For conduct, such as that described in Rule 10-5, Articles 1 (a, b d, e, f), 2 and 4, the official shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major, in which case a technical foul shall be assessed.

Rule 10-5 ART. 1

The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

b. Attempting to influence an official's decision.

Bcopas Fri Nov 30, 2018 04:21pm

Bench warning doesn’t apply since nobody on the bench is involved in the OP.

SC Official Fri Nov 30, 2018 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcopas (Post 1026558)

He’s referring to his personal experience of dealing with a coach who counted three seconds, I believe.

so cal lurker Fri Nov 30, 2018 06:58pm

"When you do that, I lose track and have to start over."

Raymond Fri Nov 30, 2018 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcopas (Post 1026558)

Then "knock it off" will definitely suffice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53pm

A loud and emphatic: "Knock it off!" sends the message to both teams that they are not to do it and that it will not be tolerated.

If a HC questions you about it just tell him that the Rules specifically state that the Administering Game Official will give a visual and silent count and now one else will infringe upon the Game Official's duties.

MTD, Sr.

HokiePaul Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54am

If the OP, I'm probably ignoring it unless I felt that it was intended to show-up the official (i.e. if they had complained about a previous count and then started doing it - I could go straight to a technical in that case).

There's no problem with the offense counting out loud (I've heard the bench communicate before to let a player know they are closely guarded - "he's counting, 3, 4..."). I'm allowing the defense to communicate a count if they want -- again as long as I don't think it's being done to show-up/influence the official.

I'm more concerned with the coach counting out 3 seconds trying to get a 3 second call. The new warning from last year works well in that case if necessary.

BillyMac Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:47pm

Ancient Times © Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 2018 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1026562)
Then "knock it off" will definitely suffice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1026566)
A loud and emphatic: "Knock it off!" sends the message to both teams that they are not to do it and that it will not be tolerated.

Or, we could go old school à la Jack Benny:

https://youtu.be/Ra_cWKc36qg