The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 04:55pm
Stubborn Member

Arbiter Issues

Is anyone else having trouble with Arbiter today?
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with Arbiter today?
I have trouble with it every day.

To be clear, the site works as designed, but I don't like the effort I have to go through to manage my 33 different groups and get the blocks and the "sharing" right.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 04:59pm
Stubborn Member

Damn.

I tried logging in earlier today, but it said my credentials (I'm on a personal computer, so my login and password have been saved for a long time) were wrong. I tried the "forgot password" thing and it even states my email is not in the system.

My phone is doing the same thing.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bob's "33 different groups"

Wow!
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 05:15pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Damn.

I tried logging in earlier today, but it said my credentials (I'm on a personal computer, so my login and password have been saved for a long time) were wrong. I tried the "forgot password" thing and it even states my email is not in the system.

My phone is doing the same thing.
Chat with tech support or the admin. person of your group who oversees Arbiter. BTW, no issues with my account today.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think the support center phone number is 1-800-311-4060.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Different Groups ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jerkins View Post
I don't like the effort I have to go through to manage my 33 different groups and get the blocks and the "sharing" right.
I had a second group added this year, for state tournament games, and I'm forgetting to treat each group separately (with checks in the proper boxes).

State tournament games? I'm a journeyman official who hasn't worked a state tournament game in thirty-seven years. I seriously doubt that I'll get one this year, with a bone spur and osteoarthritis in my right ankle, and patellofemoral pain syndrome in my left knee, but hey, hope springs eternal.

It's really too bad that my body is failing me now. I thought that last season was my best ever in terms of concentration, confidence, poise, consistency, judgment, mechanics, signals, court coverage, calls, game management, being a good partner, etc., and my ratings were great, except for physical conditioning.

I can't do state tournament games when I walk with a limp like Matt Dillon's sidekick, Chester, in Gunsmoke.

I get older every year and the players stay the same age. It's just not fair.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 29, 2018 at 06:31pm.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 06:32pm
Stubborn Member

I had to leave a message with them to call me back as it wouldn't keep me in hold. Although it's been an hour and they haven't called back.

I also emailed them and have yet to get a response.

I'm currently watching the JV game with my partners for the varsity game and they aren't having issues. Hopefully they get back to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

The last time I had to deal with the support center, it did take a day or two for the return phone call. But someone did call back.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Generally when a game you’ve accepted is moved, you get a notification and have to re-accept the new date/time.

Well I had a game moved to a date I had blocked and I never got a notification or the chance to re-accept. Apparently multiple people have had that issue and Arbiter is working on it.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 07:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Software Hiccup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Generally when a game you’ve accepted is moved, you get a notification and have to re-accept the new date/time. Well I had a game moved to a date I had blocked and I never got a notification or the chance to re-accept. Apparently multiple people have had that issue and Arbiter is working on it.
Same thing for me two years ago. I didn't bother to followup with Arbiter (our assigner takes care of all Arbiter issues) and just called my assigner, he took care of the new reschedule. Later he told me that it was just a software "hiccup".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I will add a few words to this thread. My opinion is that Arbiter is not a good system now because they grew too quickly when the NCAA became part of it. The servers were not equipped to handle the capacity and activity, the programmers do not have enough options available for individual officials who work in multiple areas or for multiple assignors, assignors are often frustrated with the lack of detail in their options, the tech support is slow, the fees are too high, and the security cannot be trusted. (There have been two high profile breaches that I know about, including one involving NCAA basketball officials. Additionally, the system used to email your password to you when you joined a new group. I got them to cease doing that because email accounts are relatively easy to hack.)

I was the admin for our Arbiter group for eight years. I dealt with numerous issues from various angles: the assignor side, the school admin point of view, and the individual officials. Over that time the fees were raised four times and new fees were added. We eventually concluded that Arbiter was not worth the money and dropped it. We purchased a website and hired our own programmer to design an assigning system to meet our needs. For about 20% of the cost we have a system which is ten times better.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I work as an assigner and use Arbiter both as an assigner and as an official. I think there are some good and bad things to Arbiter. One of them actually has been changed recently.

In some sports, like swimming and track, it is common to have a boys and a girls meet at the same time. Previously with Arbiter you could not have a boys and girls meet at the same time at the same site. Arbiter would block out the site and the prohibited any new assignment from being made at the site during the time period. This was a major pain.

I was notified earlier this week that they have changed this and when assigned a track meet for Spring, I found this to be true. You now receive a warning that the site is in use at that time, but you can over ride this and assign the game anyway.

Arbiter can be responsive to the needs of those using the system.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I will add a few words to this thread. My opinion is that Arbiter is not a good system now because they grew too quickly when the NCAA became part of it. The servers were not equipped to handle the capacity and activity, the programmers do not have enough options available for individual officials who work in multiple areas or for multiple assignors, assignors are often frustrated with the lack of detail in their options, the tech support is slow, the fees are too high, and the security cannot be trusted. (There have been two high profile breaches that I know about, including one involving NCAA basketball officials. Additionally, the system used to email your password to you when you joined a new group. I got them to cease doing that because email accounts are relatively easy to hack.)

I was the admin for our Arbiter group for eight years. I dealt with numerous issues from various angles: the assignor side, the school admin point of view, and the individual officials. Over that time the fees were raised four times and new fees were added. We eventually concluded that Arbiter was not worth the money and dropped it. We purchased a website and hired our own programmer to design an assigning system to meet our needs. For about 20% of the cost we have a system which is ten times better.
I know of a much better and cheaper solution too!