Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2018, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

👍🏻
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 01:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seeing Red ...

This season, part of my pregame officials/coaches/captains conference has been, "Players need to wear their uniforms properly, no rolled waistbands, we're not going to be looking for problems, but if it's obvious, we won't ask for a substitute, but just ask the player to fix it".

I probably missed some violations over the past few weeks but finally had to deal with it today. Girls on red team had red jerseys, red shorts, and everybody but the point guard had red waistbands, her waistband was black because she rolled it over.

It was very obvious. Spotted it early in the game but didn't want to make a big deal about it, until the red point guard was fouled. As my partner was reporting the foul, I was lining them up for free throws, which was an excellent opportunity to quietly ask her to "Please fix your waistband".

She complied. No shrug. No dirty look. No rolling of the eyes (I've got two daughters). No, "Why?". I wish all players would comply like she did with fashion issue requests.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 29, 2018 at 01:46am.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 01:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Was Pissed ... ...

In my new life as a subvarsity official, I had a middle school game last week.

Waiting for the visitors who were about twenty minutes late, I'm watching the home team warm up and come across a player with a black sleeve on one leg, and a white sleeve on the other leg, while all of his teammates with leg sleeves had black sleeves.

I told him that he would not be allowed to play with the white sleeve, his choice of sleeve color had to match his teammates.

Turns out he's the twentieth player on a twenty man team, so he doesn't get in the game until three minutes left, his team down by thirty. I spotted him right away wearing just the white sleeve, and to be frank, I was pissed because I had made it perfectly clear to him pregame that he wouldn't be allowed to play with the white sleeve.

As pissed as I was, I'm not going to take away his few moments of glory, so I let him play, but I'm not going to let him get away with it scot free.

Ten seconds left, no scoring drive by either team, I sound my whistle. I walk up to the player and quietly ask him, "What did I tell you before that game about your leg sleeves?". He replies, "That I can't wear the white sleeve". I turn to the coach, "Coach, I need a substitute for (this player) for illegal equipment".

Yeah, I could have handled it better, but I was pissed. If a twelve year old kid wants to totally ignore me then he's going to have to pay the consequences. I let him have his fun for three minutes, but he wasn't going to get away scot free.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I told him that he would not be allowed to play with the white sleeve, his choice of sleeve color had to match his teammates.
Go to the coach first, or at least as part of the discussion.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Consequences To One's Actions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Go to the coach first, or at least as part of the discussion.
I did mention to the coach that some equipment color issues had to be dealt with (which included a few undershirts) before I approached his players pregame.

Near the end of the game, I discussed my plan with the coach (on the fly) as soon as the illegal equipment was detected. I told him that I would allow the kid to keep playing, and if he wanted me to deal with the problem with a few seconds left. He agreed.

I actually gave the kid my, "Don't you want to look like a basketball player?" speech before the game (a tool in my black tool belt that I've actually never used before, but I haven't done too many middle school games like this before).

I'm not proud of it, but I was really pissed at the kid. I wanted him to play as long as possible, but I also wanted him to realize there are consequences to one's actions. I fully realize that this is more the coach's job than the official's job, which is why I checked with the coach. If he said that the wanted to deal with it I would have just asked for as substitute with three minutes to go, with no one on one contact between me and the player.

I think that my retired middle school teacher inner self was speaking to me. Maybe next time I'll tell "him" to shut up.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 29, 2018 at 10:38am.