The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coaches Biggest Problem With New Rules ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104163-coaches-biggest-problem-new-rules.html)

BillyMac Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07pm

Coaches Biggest Problem With New Rules ...

The Connecticut State interscholastic sports governing body, our State IAABO board, and our local IAABO board, all "strongly urge" schools to send a least one coach to a nonmandatory new rules meeting.

My local board offered three such meeting to local leagues and conferences over the past few weeks. Our interpreter hosted these meetings, covering last year's new rules, this year's new rules, and this year's Points of Emphasis.

What do you think that the coaches were the most concerned about?

Legal Guarding Position, Block/Charge, Screening, Verticality? Nope.

Establishing Pivot Foot and Traveling? Nope.

Loose Ball Recovery? Nope.

Twenty-Eight Foot Long Coaching Box? Nope.

Written Warning for Coach/Team Conduct? Nope.

Intentional Fouls? Nope.

Body Bumping? Nope.

Rolled Up Waistbands? Bingo.

"But my players don't like the way their shorts fit."

Rich Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09pm

Wisconsin is sticking with last year's interp. If the waistband doesn't cause the shorts to have more than one visible logo, they can be rolled.

DRJ1960 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1026470)
Wisconsin is sticking with last year's interp. If the waistband doesn't cause the shorts to have more than one visible logo, they can be rolled.

Just got the same "guidance" in NE North Carolina.... after hearing all fall that there would be zero tolerance.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026469)
"But my players don't like the way their shorts fit."

Then order some that do, or let the kids provide whatever shorts they want to wear that do. Nice thing about shorts is the only restriction is the manufacturer’s logo restriction and that they must be worn as intended.

They don’t all have to be the same design or color or anything like that. So let them wear whatever they have they fire as they want and has a proper logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddy Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29pm

Our state (to the northeast of Rut) deemed both rules effective: waistbands rolled down are illegal (Interpretation #9), but if manufactured (3-4-5) to be rolled down with a single logo displayed upright, then legal.
Lazy officials still won't care nor enforce. Intellegent officials who can both enforce that and prioritize play-calling will take care of bid-ness. :)
I'm trying to encourage the latter....

bucky Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08am

I understand the thought process regarding rolling the waistband and exposing a logo and/or drawstrings. What if the player rolls them the opposite way? Is that considered to be illegal?

No logo.drawstring would be displayed however the waistband is rolled. Thoughts?

bob jenkins Thu Nov 29, 2018 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1026476)
I understand the thought process regarding rolling the waistband and exposing a logo and/or drawstrings. What if the player rolls them the opposite way? Is that considered to be illegal?

No logo.drawstring would be displayed however the waistband is rolled. Thoughts?

It's still rolled, so if the state doesn't allow rolled shorts, then it's not allowed.

It is, however, much harder to detect. ;) And, if it's not detected, it can't be enforced.

LRZ Thu Nov 29, 2018 08:59am

We were told to be lenient below varsity.

SC Official Thu Nov 29, 2018 09:36am

We are sticking with allowing rolling so long as no extra logo is showing and the drawstring isn't dangling.

Thank goodness.

UNIgiantslayers Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49am

I've been a stickler on it so far this year. Had a new one the other night where kids were tucking the bottom of their shorts into their compression shorts. My thought was they look like idiots and they didn't stay in once they started running so whatever. It's not a safety issue, and it is against the "worn as intended" rule, but I'm going fishing for that one. If you want to look like a dip$hit, feel free.

SC Official Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1026487)
I've been a stickler on it so far this year. Had a new one the other night where kids were tucking the bottom of their shorts into their compression shorts. My thought was they look like idiots and they didn't stay in once they started running so whatever. It's not a safety issue, and it is against the "worn as intended" rule, but I'm going fishing for that one. If you want to look like a dip$hit, feel free.

Actually there's a current-year interpretation outlawing this exact practice.

Now your state might not care but if they are sticklers on the waistband, then I would imagine they want this interp enforced, as well.

BillyMac Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:21pm

As The Manufacturer Intended ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1026488)
Actually there's a current-year interpretation outlawing this exact practice.

NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2018-19

SITUATION 6: A1 has tucked the bottom of his/her shorts into the tights being worn. RULING: Illegal. The referee shall not allow the player to enter the game or direct the player to leave the game until the shorts are removed from inside the tights. After making the correction, the player may re-enter the game at the appropriate time for a substitution. The uniform should be worn as the manufacturer intended it to be. (3-5-5)

The_Rookie Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1026470)

Cheers! to some Midwest common sense from America's dairy land!

so cal lurker Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41pm

Watching my son's V games in the LA area, I haven't seen it enforced at all.

But then, I've seen tucked in shirts enforced less this year, and last night there was blood on a shirt and at the bench an injured player whipped off his and gave it to the player with blood, who took off his on the court and pulled on the other without tucking it in . . . and I'm pretty sure there was blood on his shorts, too . . .

SNIPERBBB Thu Nov 29, 2018 01:04pm

Ohio is allowing rolled waistbands sans logos as well.