The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 02:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Now.

Back in the Ancient Days before computers, the internet, email, and Arbiter, we were assigned games through "snail mail" delivered by the United States Postal Service. We mailed (not email) in our availability calendar (it was an actual physical calendar) in September/October, and received our assignments for the entire season a few weeks before the season began. Turnbacks, and reschedules, were handled by Ma Bell's land line telephones, some with rotary dials (Goggle it young'uns). Somehow, it worked. It worked for our assigner, and it worked for us. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Now I have to go out shopping for a new buggy whip.

Billy:

Now you are starting to sound like me, !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 03:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Loyal Order Of Moose ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Now you are starting to sound like me ...
Ancient Days © 2018 Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

True story. Many years ago, before cell phones were popular and affordable, I took a group of my students to the Loyal Order Of Moose Lodge in town to volunteer at a Red Cross Bloodmobile. One student asked to use the telephone to confirm his ride after the event. We found out the the Lodge telephone was in another room, and sent the student there to make his call. He came back in a few minutes perplexed, he didn't know how to use the telephone. It was an old rotary dial telephone.

When will young'uns not be able to read analog clocks?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 29, 2018, 02:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Ancient Days © 2018 Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

True story. Many years ago, before cell phones were popular and affordable, I took a group of my students to the Loyal Order Of Moose Lodge in town to volunteer at a Red Cross Bloodmobile. One student asked to use the telephone to confirm his ride after the event. We found out the the Lodge telephone was in another room, and sent the student there to make his call. He came back in a few minutes perplexed, he didn't know how to use the telephone. It was an old rotary dial telephone.

When will young'uns not be able to read analog clocks?

Billy:

Thanks for the copyright.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What possible situation that is so much of an issue you see because a game is given 15 months in advance? People usually schedule weddings more than a year ahead of the time and basketball season is often not that time of year those take place. Birthdays never change. My son's birthday is in December and I am working on this actual birthday this year because it is a weekday/school day. A lot of job situations do not drastically change and if they do they are not jobs where the person could not officiate in the first place. Even a baby coming is kind of known in advance. The only thing I can think of is a death or maybe a sickness that might come up that you have to change things. My kid's activities are known before the activity starts months in advance.

I get that this is not what you guys do and that is fine, but you keep hammering things that are almost never a problem that far in advance of the game. Again, I know I am working every single Friday and Saturday of the basketball season as almost a guarantee. If I need one of those days off for something I know months in advance, I either do not go to the even or I get off the game. And I am going to work one or two other days during the week either for a high school or college game.

Peace
I never hinted that it was a problem in your area. I simply stated (explicitly) that I'm not a fan and am glad we get games no more than 2-3 weeks out here.

As a transfer it would suck to move somewhere over the summer just to be told games for the upcoming season are already filled. And before you say "that is not the assigners' problem," I already know that.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 07:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I never hinted that it was a problem in your area. I simply stated (explicitly) that I'm not a fan and am glad we get games no more than 2-3 weeks out here.

As a transfer it would suck to move somewhere over the summer just to be told games for the upcoming season are already filled. And before you say "that is not the assigners' problem," I already know that.

There are non-conference games here that aren't assigned so far in advance. I moved to my state in 2002.....in the summer. That winter I worked over 20 varsity dates. I got those by contacting over 100 schools and taking what was offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 08:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

If you came here over a summer and either attended a camp or two, you probably would get varsity games on some level if you were an experienced official.

When I moved here (to a totally different part of the state) and was able to go to camps in the summer of 2000, I had probably 15-20 varsity games in the area because I was able to prove my ability at camps in the off season. And this is when we have paper contracts when it was harder to give all those games to just anyone and make changes. I would get calls all that season to cover a game or to take a reschedule.

I had a really good friend with his girlfriend (now his wife) who were both officials come to this area from out west with experience as an official. They attended a few camps and both worked multiple varsity games their first year transfering to this area as well. That was probably the mid-2000s and now both are working D1 college. If you are talented they will find you and use you.

Just because the games are scheduled to some, does not mean all the assignments are made that early. The reason for camps here are to decide who is going to move up and who might need a change in their schedule.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 09:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Summer Of '42 (1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you came here over a summer and either attended a camp or two, you probably would get varsity games on some level if you were an experienced official.
We don't have a great high school camp system here in Connecticut.

If a new official is transferring over from another IAABO board, one is guaranteed a similar schedule.

If a new official is from a non-IAABO association/organization, one will be observed as soon a possible, as early as preseason scrimmages, by either trained observers, or our assignment commissioner.

One's assignments will be based on these preseason and early regular season observations.

This is possible because our assignment commissioner only tentatively assigns three or four weeks in advance, and only confirms these tentative assignments about two weeks in advance.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 02, 2018 at 12:05pm.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are non-conference games here that aren't assigned so far in advance. I moved to my state in 2002.....in the summer. That winter I worked over 20 varsity dates. I got those by contacting over 100 schools and taking what was offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Which sucks, especially for officials who are in the military or in other types of jobs that causes one to get transferred.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Which sucks, especially for officials who are in the military or in other types of jobs that causes one to get transferred.
Actually, this is not uncommon for people in those situations to get games. I think the point some of you are missing is that any assignment made can and will likely change on some level. It is not like every game is assigned and nothing changes. The schools do not even have their finalized schedules until the fall in many conferences.

Peace