View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 08:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I never hinted that it was a problem in your area. I simply stated (explicitly) that I'm not a fan and am glad we get games no more than 2-3 weeks out here.

As a transfer it would suck to move somewhere over the summer just to be told games for the upcoming season are already filled. And before you say "that is not the assigners' problem," I already know that.
If you came here over a summer and either attended a camp or two, you probably would get varsity games on some level if you were an experienced official.

When I moved here (to a totally different part of the state) and was able to go to camps in the summer of 2000, I had probably 15-20 varsity games in the area because I was able to prove my ability at camps in the off season. And this is when we have paper contracts when it was harder to give all those games to just anyone and make changes. I would get calls all that season to cover a game or to take a reschedule.

I had a really good friend with his girlfriend (now his wife) who were both officials come to this area from out west with experience as an official. They attended a few camps and both worked multiple varsity games their first year transfering to this area as well. That was probably the mid-2000s and now both are working D1 college. If you are talented they will find you and use you.

Just because the games are scheduled to some, does not mean all the assignments are made that early. The reason for camps here are to decide who is going to move up and who might need a change in their schedule.

Peace