The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Our officiating pool has an ongoing "discussion" in regards to Live vs "Alive" balls. I can not find a reference or definition of the distinction in rule books and/or case books back to 1998. I was wondering if anyone had access to older rules/case books and would be able to verify when or if this rule/definition existed and at what point it was revised to the current status? or not. Bear in mind that I am only speaking for the NFHS rules, I did find this link addressing what is essentially the question.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_o....av=ArticleList Which says:
After the ball has been dead, it is put into play by a jump ball, throw-in or a free throw attempt. The game clock does not start until the ball is legally touched on the court by a player. However, any floor violation or personal foul which may occur will be penalized. The ball is live when it is placed at the disposal of the thrower-in, free throw shooter or is tossed by the official on a jump ball. Illegal contact, which occurs prior to the ball becoming live, will be ignored if it is not unsportsmanlike. The ball is alive when it is legally tapped by one of the participants of a jump ball, released by a thrower-in or released on a free throw attempt that will remain in play.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Todd, HS and NCAA have nothing that refers to the ball being alive. I can't remember that terminology ever being in use in HS. I was going to point you to the NBA rules, but you already found it.

Welcome to the forum!