Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2018, 08:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bang Bang ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
He traveled. Period. I am 100% that I whistle that. I'm looking closely at his landing on such a play so seeing the extra step should be easy.
Agree. However, as the trail I would have been so intent on instantly determining that this was a backcourt exception, that I may have overlooked the travel. I would hope that I would catch it, but may have been distracted by the bang bang exception.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jul 29, 2018, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. However, as the trail I would have been so intent on instantly determining that this was a backcourt exception, that I may have overlooked the travel. I would hope that I would catch it, but may have been distracted by the bang bang exception.
I would hazard to guess that many officials would do the same. They would be so excited to know the rule explicitly, not call a violation, and overlook the obvious travel. Everyone (coaches/players/spectators) else would be doing the same. They would anxiously be waiting for the BC ruling that most would not realize such an obvious travel.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I would hazard to guess that many officials would do the same. They would be so excited to know the rule explicitly, not call a violation, and overlook the obvious travel. Everyone (coaches/players/spectators) else would be doing the same. They would anxiously be waiting for the BC ruling that most would not realize such an obvious travel.
Ignore the potential backcourt violation. I see officials not call that move a travel frequently....without anything else complicating things.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

RE: traveling violation - does the T have the proper angle that allows him to definitively see the status of the ball and player control? I'm not certain he does from what this video reveals. And, that's essential when determining if a traveling violation occurs. I'm not even sure the C has a good secondary look.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 12:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
RE: traveling violation - does the T have the proper angle that allows him to definitively see the status of the ball and player control? I'm not certain he does from what this video reveals. And, that's essential when determining if a traveling violation occurs. I'm not even sure the C has a good secondary look.
It's also essential to ruling a BC violation on a throw-in.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Ignore the potential backcourt violation. I see officials not call that move a travel frequently....without anything else complicating things.
Yep. I think that "we" tend to give a little more than the strict reading of the rules allow when a player catches a pass and sometimes when they come to a stop on a (moving) dribble.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

As a friend and high-level official likes to say, 'don't go looking for boogers.'

If you're calling anything on this, it's a booger.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yep. I think that "we" tend to give a little more than the strict reading of the rules allow when a player catches a pass and sometimes when they come to a stop on a (moving) dribble.
"We" includes me. If it isn't 100% obvious and certain...no travel. If there is a gray area with regards to whether the player had "caught" the ball or not, the player didn't catch the ball.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

That's why I wouldn't have a travel. The player touched the ball in the frontcourt, but only controlled it in the backcourt. There must be player control for both a backcourt violation and for traveling, and since there was no player control, neither rule was violated.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 05:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Benefit Of Slow Motion Replay ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That's why I wouldn't have a travel. The player touched the ball in the frontcourt, but only controlled it in the backcourt. There must be player control for both a backcourt violation and for traveling, and since there was no player control, neither rule was violated.
He controlled the ball while airborne. No doubt, especially in slow motion replay. He controlled the ball while having frontcourt status (jumped from frontcourt).

But even with airborne control, it can't be a backcourt violation because of the throwin exception, not due to lack of player control.

But with airborne control the player in the video definitely traveled, lifting the first foot to touch down, the pivot foot, said foot returning to the floor (before the ball is released on a pass or a try).

The recent question being discussed is whether, or not, the calling official would get a good look and be able to see the travel without the benefit of a slow motion replay?

Most of us don't call fouls, or violations unless we're sure.

Two things taught to us by that great basketball official Confucius that are worth remembering:

You are where you were until you get where you're going.

When in doubt, don't be.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 31, 2018 at 05:57am.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He controlled the ball while airborne. No doubt, especially in slow motion replay. He controlled the ball while having frontcourt status (jumped from frontcourt).

But even with airborne control, it can't be a backcourt violation because of the throwin exception.

But with airborne control it can still be a travel violation, lifting the first foot to touch down, the pivot foot.
That's not illegal. The pivot must be returned to the floor for a traveling violation to occur, unless the player starts a dribble.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Erratum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's not illegal. The pivot must be returned to the floor for a traveling violation to occur, unless the player starts a dribble.
Good point. Thanks. I'll correct it.

Quote:
But with airborne control the player in the video definitely traveled, lifting the first foot to touch down, the pivot foot, said foot returning to the floor (before the ball is released on a pass or a try).

Hiding the ball under his wing. Didn't start a dribble. Not passing. Not shooting. Travel? Not yet. Be patient, and he'll eventually travel.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 31, 2018 at 05:59am.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 07:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Good point. Thanks. I'll correct it.
Well, actually the first foot to touch may return to the floor if A1 executes a proper jump stop.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 10:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Both Feet Airborne ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Well, actually the first foot to touch may return to the floor if A1 executes a proper jump stop.
I don't believe that the player in the video meets the following parameters for such a legal jump stop:

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball. The limits on foot movements are as follows:
A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop,
and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land
on both.
Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is
released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball
is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble.

Once that second (nonpivot) foot comes down, his legal options become more restricted. And even further restricted if the pivot foot is lifted (no dribble allowed).

Nevadaref and Raymond make great points. It has always been my contention that block/charge is not the most difficult call in basketball, it's traveling. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 30, 2018 at 10:35pm.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2018, 10:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't believe that the player in the video meets the following parameters for such a legal jump stop:

I didn't say he did. I'm correcting your post where you said the first foot to touch the floor cannot retouch the floor prior to shooting or passing the ball.

Quote:
But with airborne control it can still be a travel violation, lifting the first foot to touch down, the pivot foot, said foot may not return to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or a try.