The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused by Stat-Man's diagram, with green lines on both sides of the sideline (the horizontal black line). This looks like the coaching box projects into the court.

Am I misreading something?
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 03:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Alternative to the Newly Revised 1-13-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
An eye screw in the floor 14' from the endline and a leg tether would be a lot cheaper and much more effective.
An alternative for the revised 1-13-2 was included in the recently released NFHS Video Illustrated Rules Changes download that I was reviewing just now. This apparently is for those schools who don't want to incur the expense of painting even more lines on the court. I'm not saying I agree with it, only that it's been approved.

Limits to the 1-13-2 Box
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 04:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Outta My Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I'm confused by Stat-Man's diagram, with green lines on both sides of the sideline (the horizontal black line). This looks like the coaching box projects into the court. Am I misreading something?
Haven't you heard? Coaches are now allowed to stand a few feet inbounds on the playing court as long as they're in the newly defined coaching box, as long as they don't physically interfere with players, or officials, and as long as they are actually coaching their players and not taking the opportunity to yell at officials. It's true. It's true.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 22, 2018 at 04:22pm.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

28 Foot Hashmark ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

Here is how I envision the new rule change for 1-13-2, assuming I read it correctly. The black lines above are the sideline and the 28' line. The green lines are the new lines that help define the coaching box boundary.
Do all schools still have a 28 foot hashmark on the playing court? Didn't we do away with the 28 foot hashmark when we did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count, and got rid of the lack of action rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 22, 2018 at 04:23pm.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 08:35am
This IS My Social Life

Our 1-13-2

Here is how our state clarified what was issued in new 1-13-2:

"Coaching Box – tableside. Bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line towards the division line. At this point, a line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box going towards the end line. The same directions should be followed for the other side of the scorer's table."

Makes sense to us here.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 03:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Hmm, If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like NFHS wants a two-foot extension of the hash mark into the out of bounds area (similar to NCAA) to designate the edge of the box closest to the table.

Even with the 28' foot box this year (MI didn't have it last year), I wonder how many warnings there will be for coaches being out of the box in '18-19.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Mon Jul 23, 2018 at 03:35pm.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Midcourt And Forecourt ...

Quote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like NFHS wants a two-foot extension of the hash mark into the out of bounds area to designate the edge of the box closest to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Do all schools still have a 28 foot hashmark on the playing court? Didn't we do away with the 28 foot hashmark when we did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count, and got rid of the lack of action rule.
The oldest rulebook that I've kept is 1996-97, and that rulebook, and more recent rulebooks, do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court diagram. All of my IAABO Mechanics Manuals do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court according to the "The Court As Officials See It" diagrams.

I'm guessing that the 28 foot hashmark disappeared in the early 1990's, around the same time that the NFHS did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count (midcourt to forecourt), and got rid of the lack of action rule.

We can talk about a distance 28 feet from the endline, but we can't talk about a 28 foot hashmark. By rule it's not there any more (we no longer divide the midcourt from the forecourt). It may still be painted on some high school, and middle school, courts, but, by rule, it's no longer there.

Now, would somebody please get out their protractor, yardstick, pencil, scissors, and floor tape, and please tell me exactly what the hell this means (below):

1-13-2: A line, perpendicular to the 28-foot line and placed at each end, with a minimum length of 2 feet, shall be extended toward the team bench so that the coaching box boundary is evident.

Stat-Man's diagram came close, but there should be no lines extending onto the playing court. There should just be lines on the out of bounds side of the sideline. The 28 foot hashmark can't be there, because the rules say it it no longer exists (even if it's still painted on the playing court of your local gym).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 23, 2018 at 05:03pm.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The oldest rulebook that I've kept is 1996-97, and that rulebook, and more recent rulebooks, do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court diagram. All of my IAABO Mechanics Manuals do not show a 28 foot hash mark on the playing court according to the "The Court As Officials See It" diagrams.

I'm guessing that the 28 foot hashmark disappeared in the early 1990's, around the same time that the NFHS did away with the reset of the closely guarded dribble count (midcourt to forecourt), and got rid of the lack of action rule.

We can talk about a distance 28 feet from the endline, but we can't talk about a 28 foot hashmark. By rule it's not there any more (we no longer divide the midcourt from the forecourt). It may still be painted on some high school, and middle school, courts, but, by rule, it's no longer there.

Now, would somebody please get out their protractor, yardstick, pencil, scissors, and floor tape, and please tell me exactly what the hell this means (below):

1-13-2: A line, perpendicular to the 28-foot line and placed at each end, with a minimum length of 2 feet, shall be extended toward the team bench so that the coaching box boundary is evident.

Stat-Man's diagram came close, but there should be no lines extending onto the playing court. There should just be lines on the out of bounds side of the sideline. The 28 foot hashmark can't be there, because the rules say it it no longer exists (even if it's still painted on the playing court of your local gym).
It just says "...the 28-foot line.." and does not mention the word "hashmark."
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Hashmark ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
It just says "...the 28-foot line.." and does not mention the word "hashmark."
Stat-Man mentioned "hashmark". I'm of the opinion that it no longer exists.

Quote:
If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like NFHS wants a two-foot extension of the hash mark into the out of bounds area to designate the edge of the box closest to the table.
I'm not sure the 28 foot line is the same as the old 28 foot hashmark. The 28 foot line has defined one end of the coaching box for many, many years. The 28 foot coaching box line is completely out of bounds, the 28 foot hashmark was completely inbounds. They're not the same.

The new rule sounds like there should be an additional two foot line perpendicular to the 28 foot coaching box line, making it parallel to the sideline, both completely out of bounds.

I'm adding a floor marking tape manufacturer to my stock portfolio. That should push me over the top to finally buy that retirement villa in Tuscany.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 23, 2018 at 06:48pm.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2018, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The "28' line" is the portion of the sideline beginning at each end line and extending 28' toward the division line. It's not a separate line on the court.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2018, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That should push me over the top to finally buy that retirement villa in Tuscany.
Tuscany?!? There is nothing available there..........unless your are the Maestro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkmLWOqwwA
Old Tue Jul 24, 2018, 03:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
... would somebody please get out their protractor, yardstick, pencil, scissors, and floor tape, and please tell me exactly what the hell this means ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The "28' line" is the portion of the sideline beginning at each end line and extending 28' toward the division line. It's not a separate line on the court.
Great explanation. Now this new rule wording makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 24, 2018 at 03:11pm.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2018, 03:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Retirement Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Tuscany? There is nothing available there ...
Wait a minute? Are you trying to keep me out of Tuscany?

I was thinking about putting a deposit down on this little fixer-upper.

But it doesn't have a vineyard. I was looking forward to using my feet to stomp on grapes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 24, 2018 at 03:25pm.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wait a minute? Are you trying to keep me out of Tuscany?

I was thinking about putting a deposit down on this little fixer-upper.

But it doesn't have a vineyard. I was looking forward to using my feet to stomp on grapes.
You'd be good at it -- you do a lot of "whining" already.