The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 03:20pm
This IS My Social Life

Unannounced Rules Book Revisions

There are very few shaded previously unannounced rules revisions in this year's new book.

One some might consider of significance is the addition of the underlined words to 4-40-1:
"A screen is legal action by a player who, while touching the playing court, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position."

As reported in a separate thread,
this was added to 9-9-1: "EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense."
The correlating "COMMENTS OF THE 2018-19 RULES CHANGES" states (as previously announced):
"An EXCEPTION Added to the Backcourt Violation (9-9-1) - To ensure that an offensive team is not unfairly penalized when the ball is deflected by the deense from the frontcourt to the backcourt. This exception allows the offense to recover the ball (that still has frontcourt status) in the backcourt without penalty. This also makes the play situation on the deflected pass consistent with other codes with very similar team control and backcourt rules."

In 1-13-2, this sentence:
"At this point, a line drawn from the sideline toward the team bench becomes the end of the coaching box going toards the end line."
...is replaced with this sentence:
"A line, perpendicular to the 28-foot line and placed at each end, with a minimum length of 2 feet, shall be extended toward the team bench so that the coaching box boundary is evident."

2-7-11 is corrected now to read: "Reporting a team warning for head coach/bench personnel misconduct to the official scorer and then to the head coach of the offending team."

In 2-11-11, the word "rules" in the second to last sentence is replaced with the word "determines."

3-3-7 now includes this: "(See NFHS General Guidelines for Sports Hygiene, Skin Infections and Communicable Diseases in Appendix E on Page 84.)"
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
As reported in a separate thread,
this was added to 9-9-1: "EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense."
The correlating "COMMENTS OF THE 2018-19 RULES CHANGES" states (as previously announced):
"An EXCEPTION Added to the Backcourt Violation (9-9-1) - To ensure that an offensive team is not unfairly penalized when the ball is deflected by the deense from the frontcourt to the backcourt. This exception allows the offense to recover the ball (that still has frontcourt status) in the backcourt without penalty. This also makes the play situation on the deflected pass consistent with other codes with very similar team control and backcourt rules."
I have not looked, but is this some different wording than initially stated?

Peace
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 04:39pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have not looked, but is this some different wording than initially stated? Peace
Yes, the COMMENT in the new book is the same as that previously released.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 05:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wicked Screen ...

Quote:
4-40-1: A screen is legal action by a player who, while touching the playing court, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
So now screens can't be legally set in the hallway outside the gymnasium in front of the trophy case?

Nor can they be set by a player who can levitate above the floor, à la magician David Blaine?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 18, 2018 at 05:17pm.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2018, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Got The Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu (Johnny Rivers, 1972) ... ...

Quote:
3-3-7 now includes this: See NFHS General Guidelines for Sports Hygiene, Skin Infections and Communicable Diseases in Appendix E on Page 84
Coaches and captains meeting: Players legally equipped? Players wearing uniforms properly? Practice good sportsmanship? Everybody get their influenza vaccinations?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

I'll note that a few years ago the NFHS used the term playing court to mean both the inbounds and out of bounds areas of the floor.

If that is not what is intended here, then I expect clarification to come near the start of the season.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Rule Beloved By All Architects ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So now screens can't be legally set in the hallway outside the gymnasium in front of the trophy case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'll note that a few years ago the NFHS used the term playing court to mean both the inbounds and out of bounds areas of the floor.
I had the same question as Nevadaref, thus my hyperbolic post.

However, while the rest of rulebook does a slipshod job at differentiating "court" and "playing court", NFHS 1-1 makes it pretty clear that the "playing court" is within the boundaries, while the "court" includes areas surrounding the playing court. Please note the statement, "These are the dimensions for the playing court only".

1-1: The playing court shall be a rectangular surface free from obstructions and with dimensions not greater than 94 feet in length by 50 feet in width. IDEAL MEASUREMENTS ARE: High School Age – 84 by 50 feet. These are the dimensions for the playing court only.

The term "court" likely refers to this:

Table 1-1 SUPPLEMENT TO BASKETBALL COURT Court Specifications: If possible, building plans should provide for a court with ideal measurements as stated in Rule 1-1, ample out-of-bounds area ...

Thanks Nevadaref. It's been almost forty years since I paid any amount of real attention to Rule 1. I had forgotten how detailed it was, and at the same time, how irrelevant much of it (but not all of it) was to on-court basketball officials. The great detailed diagram of a fan-shaped backboard really helps in my pregame. I use it all the time. That page is always dog-eared in my rulebook for easy reference.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 21, 2018 at 12:42pm.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 11:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach, You, And The Horse You Rode In On, Have Been Warned ...

Quote:
2-7-11 is corrected now to read: "Reporting a team warning for head coach/bench personnel misconduct to the official scorer and then to the head coach of the offending team."
What? We have to report the warning to the head coach of the offended team? Where's the fun in that? No more double secret probation?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 21, 2018 at 03:04pm.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I make my warnings loud and obvious enough when I report them so I don’t separately need to tell the coach “you’ve been warned.”
Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 02:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Keep It Our Little Secret ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I make my warnings loud and obvious enough when I report them so I don’t separately need to tell the coach “you’ve been warned.”
C'mon SC Official. You can do much better than that. That statement lacks passion. It should be, "Coach, you, and the horse you rode in on, have been warned". The horse part is a comment on how arrogant the coach is. It's always a nice added touch. A "plus" is that few people understand the insult so it usually won't come back to bite you in the butt. Insult the coach, with no repercussions, it's a win win situation.

So, last season, how many officials secretly crept over to the table and whispered to the official scorer, "Write an official warning in the scorebook against the Team A coach for unsporting comments, just don't tell anybody, let's keep it our little secret", and then secretly creep away from the table? Obviously the NFHS believed that this was a major problem last season. They'll probably make it a Point of Emphasis in a few years. And maybe put it in the Basketball Rules Simplified & Illustrated book. It will have a great illustration of an official sneaking up to the table while the coach's back is turned.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 22, 2018 at 08:45am.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 09:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Postulates, Theorems, And Corollaries, Oh My ...

Quote:
"A line, perpendicular to the 28-foot line and placed at each end, with a minimum length of 2 feet, shall be extended toward the team bench so that the coaching box boundary is evident."
What am I missing here?

Wouldn't a line perpendicular to the 28 foot line be parallel to the sideline boundary? What good is that? Shouldn't it read "parallel", not "perpendicular"?

Mr. Feore, my ninth grade Geometry teacher, would be very disappointed that I have forgotten all my postulates, theorems, and corollaries.

I've got to be reading this wrong? Right?

Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 01:05pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Here is how I envision the new rule change for 1-13-2, assuming I read it correctly.

The black lines above are the sideline and the 28' line. The green lines are the new lines that help define the coaching box boundary.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

Here is how I envision the new rule change for 1-13-2, assuming I read it correctly.

The black lines above are the sideline and the 28' line. The green lines are the new lines that help define the coaching box boundary.
I was envisioning something similar. Of course, it will probably be something entirely different.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

An eye screw in the floor 14' from the endline and a leg tether would be a lot cheaper and much more effective.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2018, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An eye screw in the floor 14' from the endline and a leg tether would be a lot cheaper and much more effective.
I like this.

Or officials could stop brushing off their responsibilities by letting the coach closer to the table because "he's coaching his guys."