View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 21, 2018, 11:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Rule Beloved By All Architects ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So now screens can't be legally set in the hallway outside the gymnasium in front of the trophy case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'll note that a few years ago the NFHS used the term playing court to mean both the inbounds and out of bounds areas of the floor.
I had the same question as Nevadaref, thus my hyperbolic post.

However, while the rest of rulebook does a slipshod job at differentiating "court" and "playing court", NFHS 1-1 makes it pretty clear that the "playing court" is within the boundaries, while the "court" includes areas surrounding the playing court. Please note the statement, "These are the dimensions for the playing court only".

1-1: The playing court shall be a rectangular surface free from obstructions and with dimensions not greater than 94 feet in length by 50 feet in width. IDEAL MEASUREMENTS ARE: High School Age – 84 by 50 feet. These are the dimensions for the playing court only.

The term "court" likely refers to this:

Table 1-1 SUPPLEMENT TO BASKETBALL COURT Court Specifications: If possible, building plans should provide for a court with ideal measurements as stated in Rule 1-1, ample out-of-bounds area ...

Thanks Nevadaref. It's been almost forty years since I paid any amount of real attention to Rule 1. I had forgotten how detailed it was, and at the same time, how irrelevant much of it (but not all of it) was to on-court basketball officials. The great detailed diagram of a fan-shaped backboard really helps in my pregame. I use it all the time. That page is always dog-eared in my rulebook for easy reference.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 21, 2018 at 12:42pm.