The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 05:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

#MeToo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It's why I always tell women to not dress provocatively it only incites men, and that in turn is their fault for dressing provocatively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Keep blaming the victims.
I couldn't just sit back. Of course, moderators are free to delete.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:12pm
AremRed

Hopefully someone with legal knowledge can answer....at what point in this incident does the "acting in self-defense" privilege end?
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Hopefully someone with legal knowledge can answer....at what point in this incident does the "acting in self-defense" privilege end?
I would think this would be based on the location of the incident. Because I know there are different rules in some states like Florida for Stand your Ground laws that would not apply in other states. I guess it would depend on many factors.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not a legal answer but Jeff's point is certainly valid....it probably depends on the jurisdiction.

However, many cases I've observed turn from self-defense once the other party is going away from you and you seek re-engagement.

This incident in this video stopped being self-defense about 30 seconds into the video when the referee pushed through someone standing in his way to go after someone.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not a legal answer but Jeff's point is certainly valid....it probably depends on the jurisdiction.

However, many cases I've observed turn from self-defense once the other party is going away from you and you seek re-engagement.

This incident in this video stopped being self-defense about 30 seconds into the video when the referee pushed through someone standing in his way to go after someone.
I am not sure what stopped or did not stop, words were said and if you say certain things that are considered threatening, you might still be able to defend yourself at that point. But again, there were no charges filed at the official, so someone is not thinking they should have stopped what they were doing. It does not matter what we say at this point, this would be up to the State's Attorney in that jurisdiction to decide what laws were violated.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

We just this week had a court case where a homeowner got jail time b/c he continued to shoot at intruders after they had retreated to their vehicle and were leaving the premises.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We just this week had a court case where a homeowner got jail time b/c he continued to shoot at intruders after they had retreated to their vehicle and were leaving the premises.
That was the exact case I was thinking of. That person had no business shooting the criminal. One thing is for sure though, that intruder might think twice the next time they think about pulling a similar heist.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jul 13, 2018 at 06:17pm.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2018, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was just reading about how the same conduct in different jurisdictions can yield very different legal results. A man was sentenced in one state for standing up for himself. He struck second and effectively ended the encounter with that one blow, but the jury determined that he had the opportunity to leave the area after he was struck first and chose not to. The same behavior in a so-called "stand your ground" state would have been defendable.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've watched countless episodes of Law & Order.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2018, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

These Are Their Stories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I've watched countless episodes of Law & Order.
Is that you Mark Padgett? Why are you using Altor's user name?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)