The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

From the Sports Illustrated website (from cnn.com).

CHICAGO -- A large brawl broke out during a boys high school state tournament basketball game last night, sending two people -- including a police sergeant -- to the hospital.

Two people were in police custody, being held as participants in the fight, which began small and grew to 50 to 60 fans, Monroe District Lt. Leo Schmitz told CBS 2 in Chicago.

Others estimate as many as 100 people were involved in the brawl, the TV station reported.

Rival gangs at the game started the brawl, Schmitz told the station early Tuesday. He had no further information on which gangs were involved.

The police sergeant was in good condition after suffering a heart attack, and a teenager was in good condition with head trauma, a Fire Department spokesman said.

Six ambulances were sent to the scene of the fight, which broke out around 8:30 p.m. at the United Center during a Class AA supersectional game between Harvey Thornton and Homewood-Flossmoor. Thornton won the game 46-40.

The fight grew too large for the security staff, which consists of several off-duty city, state and county law enforcement officers. Chicago police had to be called for help, police Sgt. Robert Cargie said. He did not know how many arrests were made.

It took at least 10 to 15 minutes for police to break up the fight, witnesses told the Chicago Tribune.

"Well, it was just a fight," a security guard, who declined to give his name, told the Tribune. "Some teenagers started fighting, and we tried to break it up."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I was at the UC for these games. This fight had nothing to do with the game itself and did not take place in the arena actual arena. The fight happen in the concourse area and was not even known to most fans watching the second game (HF and Thornton) Where I was sitting no one knew there was a fight. I did not realize there was a fight until I got home and turned on the news. I even made a comment to one of my friend about all the cops outside the game. I do not think most that stayed in the arena even realized there was a fight.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Tribune article

Here is another article on this story. It gives a little more detail.

/sports/highschool/cs-050314prepfight,1,3297803.story?coll=cs-highschool-headlines

Brawl erupts at United Center
At least 1 injured as fight breaks out in stadium hallway
By Tom Rybarczyk
Tribune staff reporter

March 15, 2005, 10:54 AM CST

At least three people were hurt when a brawl involving about 200 people broke out Monday night during a post-season high school basketball game at the United Center, Chicago police said.

No arrests were reported, but one "person of interest" was being questioned by police this morning, according to police spokeswoman Amina Greer.

Witnesses said the fight began in the hallway of the United Center about 8:30 p.m. during the Class AA boys' supersectional game between Thornton and Homewood-Flossmoor.

Dozens of people were involved in the fight, many of them kicking and punching each other, witnesses said. It took at least 10 to 15 minutes for police to break up the fight.

"Well, it was just a fight," said a security guard, who declined to give his name. "Some teenagers started fighting, and we tried to break it up."

Several police officers responded to the scene and surrounded the area to make sure the fight did not spill outside, police spokesman Robert Cargie said.

One person, whose age and gender were not known, suffered blunt trauma and was taken to Stroger Hospital, Cargie said. The person's condition was not known.

Witnesses said the fight was between gang members, but police were unable to confirm that, Cargie said.

One police sergeant suffered a heart attack while helping break up the fight and was taken to Rush University Medical Center in good condition, Cargie said.

"He collapsed after the fight," the security guard said.

Tribune staff reporter Nancy Ryan and WGN-Ch. 9 contributed to this story.
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune