The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

3-Man SNAFU

What in the world is this? The R goes correctly to the trail position opposite the table, but the U2 fails to go to Lead, and remains as the "C". "Lead" then rotates over to the opposite side, which the Lead typically should do when the strong side moves to the other side. However, this situation results in 3 officials all on the same side of the court. Fortunately, there is an out of bounds call quickly afterwards, and the officials appear to align properly following the out of bounds call.

What would you have done if you saw that your partner failed to assume his correct position (e.g. the person who should be Lead remains at Center)? If you are Trail, do you go away from the side with the improper lead? If "Lead". do you move up to create a T-C*-C configuration, and hope that the C-who-should-be-Lead realizes his situation?
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 01:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

T goes to the wrong side. Need to hesitate more, recognize the direction of the ball, and go to the proper side.

It happens. All you can do is have an aware official try to align the crew. Might involve crossing over the floor or moving someone.

Not a tragedy. Something to laugh about at the bar afterwards, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
What would you have done if you saw that your partner failed to assume his correct position (e.g. the person who should be Lead remains at Center)?
I would tease them profusely about doing that. Then I would say you owe us drinks after the game. And I would have laughed at them for some time or made further jokes about them until it was not funny. Then moved on.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Over A Cold Adult Beverage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not a tragedy. Something to laugh about at the bar afterwards, though.
They spotted it, and they fixed it.

Two years ago, as the trail in a two person game, during a free throw, I ended up on the table side of the court. My partner compensated by moving over to the opposite side as lead. I simply zoned out, possibly harkening back to the old "Cadillac Position Mechanics" of yesteryear. My partner certainly let me know about the screw up the next time we talked.

Several years ago, also in a two person game, as the lead, I decided to move across the lane to come ball side to get a better look at a post play situation. And then I forgot that I moved across the lane, and stayed there. There's a turnover so I start running up the court, with my partner and I on the same side of the court. We both realized the problem at the same time so he quickly moves across the basket line to balance out the court. Also on this occasion, my partner certainly let me know about the screw up the next time we talked.

Officials love to give each other a hard time. Some of us are trained to do it, for others it's in our blood. But we all do it, especially over cold adult beverages.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 01, 2018 at 04:32pm.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

"A good pre-game would prevent that from happening."

Also, "What about in NBA and FIBA? Would it be the same?
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't want the trail running across like that even though he did it safely. But honestly, it is understandable. I think it's a good learning video because you can see how easily it can happen.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2018, 11:46pm
AremRed

These guys are next level. The Lead correctly determines that a rotation would put the crew in a much better ball-side position, with three officials available to referee strong side post and rebounding action. Much like it is sometimes ok to have two Centers, it is sometimes ok to have Lead, Center, and Trail strong-side. If there is an obvious foul on the weak side then the player will call it.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

AremRed, you make me laugh. With that crew, we might have a case for 4-person mechanics at the high school level .

All joking aside, if I saw that the official who should have been the lead failed to drop down and stayed at center instead, I'd cross the floor. If that doesn't work, I'd make the "center" buy one round of drinks for all of us after the game.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AremRed, you make me laugh. With that crew, we might have a case for 4-person mechanics at the high school level .

All joking aside, if I saw that the official who should have been the lead failed to drop down and stayed at center instead, I'd cross the floor. If that doesn't work, I'd make the "center" buy one round of drinks for all of us after the game.
You recognize that it was the R who made the mistake here, right? He should have come "camera side". U1 and U2 went where they were supposed to, originally.

The choices to fix it are to have R (Trail) cross over (as he did) or for U2 to go to lead and communicate to U1 to go back up to center.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Silly me. The video was at a somewhat wonky angle, so I mixed up left and right. U1 and U2 did what they should have done, but R went behind U2 instead of U1. If U2 dropped to Lead, U1 could come up to C, and a rotation would rectify the situation, which is what I thought the crew would do. However, the video turned into YouTube comedy.
Now I understand why R should hesitate before choosing a direction to go, because it ended up being his error that put the crew in a ridiculous position.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Yes the R made the initial mistake, but the C needs to have a little better awareness than that. His Spider senses should have been going off knowing he had someone above him. Since C didn't recognize the R's mistake, R is left with the "walk of shame" across the court. They got lucky the ball went out of bounds. As the R here, just stay in the middle until the crowd passes and fill in the empty spot.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

This is like a missed rotation. The person that made the original move correct the move. If other officials figure this out, then that is great. But this is just a mistake, just go fill in if you are the R. And the R should have known better anyway. Again, a minor issue in the overall game and someone is buying the beer.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 11:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Silly me. The video was at a somewhat wonky angle, so I mixed up left and right. U1 and U2 did what they should have done, but R went behind U2 instead of U1. If U2 dropped to Lead, U1 could come up to C, and a rotation would rectify the situation, which is what I thought the crew would do. However, the video turned into YouTube comedy.
Now I understand why R should hesitate before choosing a direction to go, because it ended up being his error that put the crew in a ridiculous position.

Ridiculous?

It's one possession. Stuff happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ridiculous?

It's one possession. Stuff happens.
And this might only happen once in an entire year. I cannot remember the last time this took place in a real game. Camp games? Well that is a different story and usually done by inexperienced 3 person officials.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2018, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And this might only happen once in an entire year. I cannot remember the last time this took place in a real game. Camp games? Well that is a different story and usually done by inexperienced 3 person officials.

Peace
This particular item, maybe.

Someone missing a rotation and someone needing to adjust to fill in -- happens a couple of times a season, I'd guess.