The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 51
Timing snafu

Eleven seconds left in the half. White in-bounds. They run it down the court, pass it twice, and score. Blue in-bounds. They run it up the court, and there's a blocking foul on White. There are three seconds on the clock.

Just about everybody turns to me and says that the clock started late. Neither my partner nor I picked it up. (I know--that's our error. I've already beat myself up pretty bad about that, so you don't have to.)

I go to the table. She says she started the clock more than three seconds late.

The rule, of course, is that I as an official need to have definite knowledge to correct a timing error. If the timer seems confident about what went wrong, can that count?

Which of these is the least-bad option?

--Say I have no definite knowledge and give Blue their one-and-one with three seconds on the clock

--Say that there should be three seconds run off the clock, but that I've called the foul, so it stands; clear the lane and give blue their one-and-one

--Say that the clock should have run off before the foul--vacate the foul and start halftime.

Thanks in advance. Trust me--I won't be going down this road again.
__________________
Visit my blog at illegalscreen.blogspot.com...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:34am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingRefGuy
--Say I have no definite knowledge and give Blue their one-and-one with three seconds on the clock

your only option
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 51
Thanks--I agree, just needed the confirmation.
__________________
Visit my blog at illegalscreen.blogspot.com...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,990
You use your counts but not a guess by the timer or yourself. If you had counts that totaled more than 11 seconds, you could use them.

Example...you have 6 seconds in the backcourt for white....3 more seconds of closely guarded in the frontcourt...pass...shot....3 more seconds on the throwin for blue. From that you have definite knowledge that time expired by the time blue threw the ball in. Even if you have a few seconds gap between some of the counts, you know for sure that 12 seconds passed based on your counts.

Otherwise, what JAR said.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 02:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
You use your counts but not a guess by the timer or yourself. If you had counts that totaled more than 11 seconds, you could use them.

Example...you have 6 seconds in the backcourt for white....3 more seconds of closely guarded in the frontcourt...pass...shot....3 more seconds on the throwin for blue. From that you have definite knowledge that time expired by the time blue threw the ball in. Even if you have a few seconds gap between some of the counts, you know for sure that 12 seconds passed based on your counts.

Otherwise, what JAR said.
Agreed. Excellent post, Camron.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggingRefGuy
Eleven seconds left in the half. White in-bounds. They run it down the court, pass it twice, and score. Blue in-bounds. They run it up the court, and there's a blocking foul on White. There are three seconds on the clock.

Just about everybody turns to me and says that the clock started late. Neither my partner nor I picked it up. (I know--that's our error. I've already beat myself up pretty bad about that, so you don't have to.)

I go to the table. She says she started the clock more than three seconds late.

The rule, of course, is that I as an official need to have definite knowledge to correct a timing error. If the timer seems confident about what went wrong, can that count?

Which of these is the least-bad option?

--Say I have no definite knowledge and give Blue their one-and-one with three seconds on the clock

--Say that there should be three seconds run off the clock, but that I've called the foul, so it stands; clear the lane and give blue their one-and-one

--Say that the clock should have run off before the foul--vacate the foul and start halftime.

Thanks in advance. Trust me--I won't be going down this road again.
Option #4 - Go to the replay booth.

Its getting closer to the lower levels all the time. Be the initiator for the 7/8 graders. After all, they just want us to get it right .... every time!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overtime Clock Snafu - Question coach41 Basketball 6 Sun Jan 22, 2006 09:45pm
Timing OverAndBack Football 6 Tue Aug 10, 2004 06:15pm
Scorekeeping snafu theboys Basketball 15 Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:00pm
Timing - Timing - Timing Steve M Softball 16 Thu Jun 07, 2001 04:58pm
Timing Steve M Softball 1 Mon Apr 09, 2001 09:17pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1